Brug Seed Saving Help

grittymitts(7/8)November 12, 2010

My SIL has saved a couple o' hundred seeds from her Brugs and asked me how to store the seeds, so thought some of y'all might offer suggestions. Do they tend to have bugs inside like Hardy Hibiscus do?

Altho' they're thriving, she's fought aphids on them all summer...maybe you can help with that too.

She will be moving from Corpus Christi area to near Austin as soon house sale closes & hopes to grow them there nest year.

Thanks so much!!!

Grittymitts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

What are those little beasties that hatch inside the hibiscus seeds anyway? They drive me crazy! Brug seeds don't harbor any type of insect. If you are going to store them for any length of time just make sure you allow the corky covering to dry completely then seal them in a seed envelope. I keep my seeds in the veggie crisper drawer of a refrigerator. I've planted 2 yr old brug seeds and have had a decent germination rate but the sooner you plant them the better.

For aphid control I use ladybugs and lacewings. I also spray the plants with a strong stream of water from the hose periodically. You can use a horticultural oil like neem, Murphy's Oil soap and dish soap also work. The Murphy's and dish soap are diluted in water. Pick and squish works as well but is gross and time consuming. lol

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 7:36AM
chena(z8 Texas)

After they are thoroughly dried (most important) I also bag and store in a mason jar in the door of the ice box and I keep the pollen in the freezer.

Kylie

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 11:29AM
nonserenity

For aphids I plant garlic bulbs around my plants. These are the large Elephant Garlic and are found around here growing wild.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
angel trumpet seeds
im getting ready to bid on some white and purple angel...
jeannie75
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
Angel Trumpet Plant Help Please!
This is a plant my mother gave me right before she...
kevbridg
Need Brugs Cuttings
Hello, a few yrs back a very nice woman on this forum...
gardenlady48
Malted barley Teas
I always end up with extra cuttings so I root them...
rednofl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™