bloom and prune advice

auntlavender(Chicago/Zone5)June 4, 2010

From this forum I've learned to prune newly planted clemmies (my group 2's) down to the first set of shoots in the spring (for the first three years, right?) so the roots have the opportunity to get really well developed, and then to prune it hard again immediately after blooming to enforce the process instead of letting it expand above ground..

I've been following this procedure with my warsaw nike, and it's almost in full bloom right now (and looking fab). Do I prune again after bloom this year even though it's a 4-year old? How do I treat it differently now that it's been through the double pruning procedure three times?

Also, planted Ramona this year, let her bloom (couldn't resist), and she's done, should I follow same procedure for her (prune to about 6 inches?)

And one more question for you, if I want to propagate by pinning and burying shoots in the ground to make their own roots, what time of year do I do this? Now? Fall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

I don't hard prune mine for the 1st 3 full years in my gardens but do the first year after they are in my gardens and AGAIN on any that are puny one-vine wonders to force more vines..I stopped hard pruning my Ramona after year two and she is now about 11 feet tall and still blooming..some suggest pruning by half after first bloom cycle but LET IT BE KNOWN if you prune a pruning group 2 that it will lose some blooms that are due in late Summer/early Fall EXCEPT for the B2 which bloom on both old and new vines..You can propagate via "Layering" anytime of the year....if you have a short growing season early Spring might be best for you to get the best results..Jeanne

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 12:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetpetiole(4b)

I had very good results cutting back Warsaw Nike, but winter came on so fast the peak of the second flush was damaged by a hard frost. Still, they survived many light freezes and I loved seeing those beautiful blooms so late in the season.

I would layer them now and leave until next spring when they emerge from the ground. Don't let the soil dry out, but don't let them get soggy either.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Sponsored Products
Sophie Planter - 33"H
Grandin Road
Nourison Area Rug: In Bloom Black 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Moooi | Delft Blue No. 12
$727.00 | YLighting
Provence Plinth
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Sea Shell 11 1/2" Wide Shell Pendant
Lamps Plus