Citrus ID needed

RI-MikeMay 8, 2013

So I "inherited" this tree from a family member as the rescued it from a big box store. I was told it was a kumquat, but no way of telling what it is until it fruits. It has tripled in size since I got it in the fall as I kept it under a 400W MH grow light and fed it foliage pro all winter. Any opinions on what this is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RI-Mike

Here's an up close of the leaves, the trunk does have thorns.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:48AM
RI-Mike

Here is the base. Not sure what to think here, could the dead part be the tree and the green growth be rootstock? I have not found any graft line and before I pot this thing up with a new mix, I want to make sure its worth the effort of keeping it around.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:49AM
citrange2

That's all rootstock!
The original variety is the dead stump, with the original graft line just below where the dead twigs join the stump.
You are growing a trifoliate hybrid - probably a citrange or citrumelo. While it will never give you very edible citrus fruits, it is an interesting plant which will survive much more frost than a normal citrus. Depending on your zone, it might be possible to grow outside and will eventually produce ornamental fruits.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:24AM
RI-Mike

Thanks, and I was afraid of that. Not worth keeping around as it wont survive outside in this zone.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:31AM
JoppaRich(7b)

You could always graft something else in. I'm sure there's plenty of people around your area with budwood.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:38AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Actually, Mike, it probably would survive in zone 7. Citrange has been growing similar cultivars in his zone successfully. They do make a very pretty ornamental tree, btw. And, you can use it for rootstock grafting as well. I would say keep it, plant it outside in the warmest, most protected area of your home and see how it does.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 5:22PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Plant that thing outside! You never know.

Some of us are growing Citrandarin and Citrumelo in the ground here in the DC area. Citrange should do OK too.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™