Photographing your clematis

NHBabs(4b-5aNH)June 23, 2012

I'm looking for hints to improve my clematis photos. Many of my clems are in the blue-purple range, which is notorious for photographing inaccurately, but if you have any tricks that may help, I'd love to hear them. I haven't been able to get one that looks remotely like its actual color.

In reality, this'Stolwijk Gold' has flowers that are more steely blue (little to no pink) and really gold foliage with less green to it.

From May 25, 2011

In reality 'Daniel Deronda' is much bluer, while 'Miguel Viso' (lower left, paler flower) is edged in rosy purple, a bit less blue.

From June 5, 2012

'The President' is really blue-purple.

From June 5, 2012

Any suggestions for how to adjust my camera, light levels (these were all taken either on an overcast day or in the evening) for optimum color accuracy, or what camera you use? I use a relatively ancient Epson 3000Z digital camera.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary11(9a)

This is a very complex subject. Your camera and lens faithfully record the image and the imaging time is fine, such that glare is minimal. Your digital camera sensor does not record what you actually see and your TV monitor and printer record colors differently. Also the sensor under records the saturation or richness of colors (deep blue of Deronda) and this needs to be corrected in photo editing. Your computer, monitor and printer all work in different languages. This is not a problem for most computer functions, but for color photography, these components need to be calibrated, so colors are accurately represented, otherwise you must make color correction adjustments while photo editing. The test, of course, is to take the print out and compare it with the actual flower. This is why we have so many problems with images from various sources, including COTW.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 7:23PM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

I think this looks like a reliable color on The President, and all I did was point and shoot (using the macro setting)

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 11:53AM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

Uh oh.
I think I must have that clem mis-labelled.
Hmmm....Anybody know who my The President really is?
As I said the picture is quite accurate, but looking at other pictures I see that it's not TP.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 11:58AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Nope, it is not TP. :) sorry, don't know who it is.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 11:15AM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

Thanks and Darn....

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 11:51AM
Ibanez540r

The technology on that camera is ancient at this point. You'd be amazed at what a difference a mediocre affordable digital camera would make.

I recommend checking amazon, good prices and reviews. You could also check their daily lightning deals for incredible savings.

I'm sure you'll find something in any price range.

Just my opinion, I'm kind of a techy.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™