Hybridizing Information

aezarien(7b)October 9, 2008

I home school and I want to do a science experiment/project with the kids this coming year but I am not finding a lot of detailed information on the process.

I have a lot of clematis and Salvia/Sage varieties and I want to try some crossbreeding. Does anyone know of a good resource online or a good book that can tell me a little more about the process?

All I am finding says protect the plant so it does not get pollinated by one of the same and to brush the inside of one plant with the pollen of the other making sure to clip the stamens from self-pollinating plants.

While I realize it is an ongoing process to produce a "winner" but are the initial steps that simple? Is there not more to the process?

-Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

If you have clematis, you have the perfect plant to try hybridizing on. See the link below for excellent info on how to hybridize clematis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian Collingwood's site

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 9:13AM
trianglejohn

Boy parts meeting Girl parts is about as basic as it gets. Its sorta the foundation of genetics no matter what sort of creature you're talking about. I would stick with annual salvias just so you get quicker results - crossed seeds will bloom within 12 months. Clematis would take to long to see any results.

There should be charts and descriptions concerning Sweet Peas out there somewhere - that was the simple stuff I saw when I was younger. The basics of crossing one plant with another where all diagramed out and should transfer to salvia easily.

There are a number of ways breeders get award winning hybrids or new color varieties. One thing they do different than what you are planning is that they work with millions of plants at one time. By growing colors together side by side they can get a wide array of crosses. All they do is walk the fields the next year and pick out the best looking bloomers. By working with acres of plants you are sure to find a few distinctive types.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 9:16AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Depends on which clematis you cross and attempt to grow out TJ. I have had success getting tanguticas, heracleifolias, and stans to grow from seed and flower in less than 12 months. Others have gotten crispas to flower in 5 months from seed.

Another option is garden balsam. It grows fast and comes in a variety of colors that might be neat to try and hybridize. I have some that are single blooms and others that are doubles.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 1:45PM
aezarien(7b)

Thanks for the info. After reading info on that web site I will never look at the word emasculate the same way again.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Decidious Magnolias Toast Sunday Morning?
Most decidious mags are blooming their beautiful pink...
jqpublic
Why is my contorted filbert growing straight?
I have a contorted filbert that I've had for years....
efine50
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Howdy!
I just wanted to say good morning! :) And, tell everyone...
mygardnparadise
Wanted: bamboo shoots from large bamboo
I'd like to harvest bamboo shoots from large bamboo(to...
lillon
Sponsored Products
Henri Studio Sargasso Climbing Frog Hybrid Fountain
Lamps Plus
Core Quad Power Pack - CQ2P480
$194.99 | Hayneedle
Broksonic Hybrid Ultrasonic Humidifier & Diffuser
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Serta Revival Firm King Size Mattress and Foundation Set
Overstock.com
Hopson Leather U-Chaise Sectional - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture