Piilu & Blue Angel ??

ditasJune 23, 2013

Hello Clematis lovers/collectors ~ I aquired a few baby (4"pots) Clems end of May! As I did in the past temporarily potted them in large nursery pots to grow in, as I find ideal sites for them. I only pinched a bit just to checkout their colors since they developed buds quickly.
My ??: Now they have flushed & found out more about these 2 ~ when should I be pinching them more?
~ Can I pair them up (to climb an obelisk in 2014) in an aft'n f/s site?

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I wouldn't pair them. Piilu is relatively short in stature and a type 2 prune, while Blue Angel is about twice as big and a type 3. I like to match size, so that one doesn't overwhelm the other, and pruning type for ease of care.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:39AM
luvmyclematis

Agree with Babs....also, they are both pastel...think you need more contrast in color tone.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 11:39AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I agree that with both being pastel they would not stand out well.
Here is Blue Angel and Warsaw Nike on a trellis from last year.
They have just started blooming and this year there are more WN at the top of the trellis and the BA on near the bottom of the trellis. Wish they would mingle more.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:34AM
ditas

Thank you very much for your thoughts & see all the sense especially w/ mnswgal photo, thank you ~ gives emphasis on the contrast idea!

I've been actually thinking of pairing up 1 of the BA to my old Ramona out front (w/ ok from the city) planted at the foot of a No Parking post next season!

The reason for Piilu & BA paring thought is for P to fill up the base & BA covering up the top for a pastel obelisk. But now that both babies are abloom pairing would be a waste!!!

TYVM again!!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
ianrtaylor
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™