OT: POTD: I have to throw this blooming Iris in

givelittle_getlots(Zone 8 TX)November 16, 2009

A wonderful good morning to everyone.

I think it started to rain out there. While I was taking a picture of the loaded Jacayna x Morgensonne seedling blooming earlier, I knew the weatherman did not lie this time. It was WINDY!!

So the bad weather IS coming and the 37 Fahrenheit for this coming night most likely also.

Glad I got all my tender plants in the house now. Watching the weather and if it gets to freezing...well then I really got to rush and bring in the potted brugs and dig out the blooming ones.

Even though I got more brug blooms...I just HAVE to show you this Iris picture I took 2 days ago.

While I looked at the amazing Copper Daisy shrub that took over half of the flowerbed in the front yard...I SAW IT:

From POTD for November 09

Now is that normal or is the poor thing as confused about the weather as we are?

P.S. Can anybody tell me what the redish looking plant in front of it, is? Grew it from seed and is the ONLY one. Is it a tender plant and I have to dig it up? lol

Have a very special day also. Full of pleasant surprises.

Hugs

Lucy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

Hi Lucy, was just lurking here again this morning...There are a lot of "re-blooming" German Iris this is exactly the time of year you'll see them too.

About Iris care, I had a lovely group of different varieties that was destroyed this year by Iris borer, Huge clumps of plants gone! All because I was lazy in cleaning out the bed last fall and I was unaware of this bug! Be sure you remove the dead leaves after season so you can enjoy your Iris for years to come! The eggs of this moth overwinter in the dead leaves and then hatch and eat their way into the rhizomes. I'm living here in New England for 5 years now and it's the absolute worst place I've ever lived for garden pests! If I ever move again (hopefully back south) I'll be leaving everything in the garden! Even my great grandmothers peonies, not taking a chance on bringing any pests with me!

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 8:04AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

The Iris is pretty as a picture with that background.

It's cold here today, only 51F and windy. It's not going to be fun moving the plants in this wind, but I need to get it done soon.

Have a good day!

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 9:10AM
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

BTW, Lucy, I meant to say how beautiful the iris and that photo is. The color combo is fabulous! I love my brugs, but Iris are my all time favs. Am I banned from posting here for that? LOL

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 9:23AM
taz56(z8 Ga.)

Very nice Lucy,pretty as a picture! I love yellow :)
Susan

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 8:02PM
PKponder TX(7b)

That is a beautiful surprise Lucy! I love yellow too!

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 7:04AM
givelittle_getlots(Zone 8 TX)

Chaz thanks for the tips...I usually pick the dead leaves away during the year. But I guess now I know where some of them disappeared off to :-(

Kristy got me started with them and this past year kept me so busy with tropicals, roflmao.....that I did not get to get me more Iris's like I wanted.

But there is always next year right? :-)

Lucy

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
brugmansia cuttings for postage?
Hi Guys!! I haven't been on in awhile, my new little...
keriann_lakegeneva
WANTED: Well rooted brug plants-can't root a cutting!
I love these plants and have tried multiple times to...
skipper08
WANTED: Rooted Cuttings. Any Variety
I spent a small fortune on small UNROOTED cuttings,...
poohbearlvr
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
Angel Trumpet Plant Help Please!
This is a plant my mother gave me right before she...
kevbridg
Sponsored Products
Geo-Floral Iris Motif 8'x11' Red Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6832
BH Sun Inc
Iris Germanica Mother Earth Root - Set of 12
$14.99 | zulily
Four Iris Goblets
$58.00 | Horchow
Castellina Aged Iron Six-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
LBL Lighting | Gelato Pendant Light
$180.00 | YLighting