Something ate my H. F. Young

jacquierz5bmiJune 2, 2009

I bought an H. F. Young clematis last year at Walmart that I have been pinching back so it will branch out more. I went out to look at it today and couldn't find it. I finally found some little 3" leafless branches sticking out of the ground. Probably the rabbits got it because it is planted between a trellis and a shed. I have two questions. Will this recover from such a severe pruning this late in the spring or should I just dig it out?

Do any of you have problems with deer or rabbits snacking on your clematis and what do you do to protect when they are young? I have two others which I just planted this year. Niobe and Bees Jubilee.

Thank you very much for any advice and help.

Jacquie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

It should recover. Pruning helps Clematis, it doesn't hurt them.

I have had slugs and earwigs eat them to almost nothing like that. No deer or rabbits possible at my house.

Perhaps a chicken wire cage to protect them?

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 2:04PM
summermusicz4ia

We bought dark green vinyl-coated chicken wire at Menards's. It's 2' high but DH cut it in half to 1' high & put it around the base of our clems in a circle, oval, or rectangle. Whatever shape you want based on available space, it's flexible.
The green blends in nicely with the foilage. We had used plain chicken wire (cheaper) but it rusted (& the ends scratched our hands more easily) so we switched to the vinyl coated wire and really like it.
Sorry about the rabbits...we battle them also.
Marlene

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 3:02PM
jacquierz5bmi

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I think until I get to the hardware store to buy some sort of wire - we live in the boonies - I am going out every night to cover them with large buckets. Between the bunnies and the deer, I'm constantly trying to think of things to outwit them.
thanks again,
Jacquie

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Need advice/insight on my Clematis
I'm in Zone 5/6, Pennsylvania. So I bought this Clematis...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™