What is the best Cactus Food?

bmdhistory(6)August 9, 2008

I have been in Cacti and Succulents for the past few years. I have always used Schultz Cactus Food. However, I was wondering if I could be using something better.

Hopefully, some more experienced growers can share their secrets and tips.

Thank you,

Daniel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

Try Liquidnox, follow the instructions, always water first get a 0-10-10 formula, cut the instructions in half for cactus and succulents, we fertilize after we water every week. Norma

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 11:00PM
xerophyte_nyc(7)

the exact formula is probably not so important. what is important is that the macronutrient levels are somewhat diluted, and ensure that all the necessary micronutrients are available, such as Ca, Mg, Mn, Fe, etc. Ca and Mg are especially important for many cactus species.

I have not seen or read any good evidence that low Nitrogen is beneficial. But too much Nitro will probably lead to bloated and weak growth.

x

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 9:25AM
bmdhistory(6)

Where do I buy Liquidnox plant food. I have searched the net to no avail. DO you have a link to a site that sells it?

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 4:55PM
txcactus(7b Dallas/Fort Worth)

I searched too! It's Liquinox. Google it and there are several places where you can buy it.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 6:53PM
bmdhistory(6)

Ok, I found the company website, but there is not a Cacti specific food. So, which one should I get? These are the choices:
Bloom
Acid Food
Grow
Iron & Zinc
Citrus & Avocado
Start with Vitamin B1
Fish Emulsion

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 8:40PM
jefe12234(4a MN)

Dyna-Gro is the only fertilizer I know of that has all the necessary plant nutrients. Just about all fertilizers have the primary nutrients N-P-K, and many have micronutrients included as well. But very few have the secondary nutrients calcium and magnesium. These can be accounted for by adding garden lime, but that also raises the soil pH and you have to figure out how much to add. Dyna-Gro has all the primary, secondary, and micronutrients included so you don't have to worry about missing/adding anything else. I first heard about it from tapla who is pretty much the container plant guru on these forums. I plan on getting some when my current fertilizer runs out. The Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 is the recommended version since it most closely matches most plants' actual uptake ratios of N-P-K. As for cacti specific fertilizers, I don't think cacti are much different from other plants in this respect except that excess nitrogen may harm them as opposed to other plants which may benefit from it. I just use the quarter strength maintenance dose listed on most fertilizer packages to avoid excess nitrogen.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 4:00PM
joeplant(4)

I been using 2-3-1 fish fertilizer.does that have all the micronutrients succulents need? joe

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 7:30PM
jefe12234(4a MN)

Organic fertilizers tend to have many different nutrients, especially ocean-based products like fish and seaweed since seawater contains almost every known element. The problem with organic fertilizers is that they require microorganisms to break them down before they are available for uptake by plants. In container soil, conditions change very rapidly so these microorganisms tend to grow erratically which makes nutrient availability erratic as well. Inorganic fertilizers provide an immediate source of nutrients so you know they are available every time you use them.

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 11:03AM
molson144_yahoo_com

I am interested in connecting with people who are growing cactus for food markets. Thanks.

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Some cactus like water
Who says you can't water cactus every day? This cactus...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Show my new collection of succulents
I got a present. Look at these succulents.
hm825
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Agave - ID & Care
I bought this little plant yesterday - Feb 26. I'd...
bobv2
Hobbit, skinny fingers or Gollum
Okay just brought this off eBay it was labeled as a...
Hamza Nobes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™