HELP, no blooms this year on Lisbon Lemon!

chopinloverMay 27, 2012

I can't find any information online, can anyone help me? I have a nice tall Lisbon lemon tree, it's been planted in ground for 6 yrs, produced heavily each yr with giant, perfect fruit. Now this past harvest [dec-jan in our zone], I noted some of the fruits were splitting close to harvest time. I picked them all, fertilized, watered and waited. NO BLOOMS, just new shoots. I fertilized again, thinking I didn't use enough. Same thing. I've given up and yesterday spouse pruned it back.

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Sounds like you let it dry out too much; cracked fruit might also be the result of too much nitrogen; but more commonly is due to shortage of water.
If it is growing new shoots, it may bloom later; but you have probably missed the main bloom.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 1:31PM
chopinlover

John, how would I know if was too much nitrogen? I'm using a commercial citrus mix made for our area? Also, the package states that I should be using 5 lbs for size of my tree? I was only using about 2 cups previously...it's on a drip system but i think i have to water it extra from the hose myself.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 1:37PM
johnmerr(11)

Well, it doesn't sound like too much nitrogen. Most likely too little water; a tree that size on drip would probably need 6 to 8 emitters to get enough water. Lemons should be deep watered about once per week; and be sure you are putting the fertilizer at the drip line, or in a circle with a diameter equal to the height of the tree; that stimulates new feeder roots and new growth, upon which the blossoms and fruit are borne.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 3:01PM
chopinlover

OK, thanks John, I will be more consistent with the watering now that it's getting hot again. Also I have always applied the fertilizer at the drip line... increasing both.... I can't install more more emitters, it's at the 'end' of the line and the pressure is not good, so watering by hand with hose.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Unripe fruit falling off dwarf Meyer lemon tree
Hi everyone, This is the first time IâÂÂve posted...
ndvnprt
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Help! I think my 2 yr old lemon tree is in shock!
This plant was doing fine until I trimmed off a huge...
olly805
Dekopon on its way
Well I just paid Harris for it. $38 shipped. We will...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™