Cyprysik Lawsona 'Imbricata Pendula'

benjamin85January 4, 2010

Hy,

does somebody have experience with this cultivar?

I think it looks very nice and beautiful.

Is it going to be a tree or more a big shrub? Growthrate?

Benjamin

Here is a link that might be useful: That's the cultivar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benjamin85

Sorry, title should be Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Imbricata Pendula'

Benjamin

Bookmark   January 4, 2010 at 10:05AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Some more arresting looking specimens in these pictures than I have seen elsewhere - particularly the first one, which appears to have silvery branchlets in this view.

Bookmark   January 4, 2010 at 1:34PM
deanforestglade(UK z8-9)

I have grown this cultivar for 20 years, in all of my last, three gardens and have just planted another in my present garden. I think it is too beautiful to be without and every garden should have one!(I LOVE weeping conifers,especially those that grow upright without having to be staked). I found them all, to be very fast growing, about 3 to 5 meters in 10 years. They seemed to reach a width of about 5 meters and then just kept going up, without becomming much wider....eventually becomming very tall. Three of them formed forked leaders, which I cut off, with no ill effect. It is nice to read that someone else, in this forum, is growing this. I have mentioned it in previous posts, several years ago and never got a single response. I still feel it should be more widely grown, but of course it is not yet readily available, everywhere. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Bookmark   January 9, 2010 at 2:34PM
benjamin85

Hy,
sounds very interesting. Did they produce cones in the time you cultivated them? Do the leades grow straight upright or more arching and than upright again, like Sequoiadendron 'Pendulum' or Picea omorika 'Bruns pendula'?

Benjamin

Bookmark   January 9, 2010 at 3:58PM
deanforestglade(UK z8-9)

Yes they did produce cones, though I do not know whether they are viable or come true from seed. The nursery in New Zealand, where mine came from, said they did not and would only grow from grafts, which is why they were comparitively rare there, as well (20 years ago). The photographs illustated at your link show the leader's growth habit...arching at first and then straightening up the following year. I have some pictures of mine, but have never managed to upload a photo on here. I believe one must use photobucket or something similar and then there are copyright issues (unless I have misunderstood the whole situation. I could send you some pictures, but you must download the facility on your homepage.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my plant
bluethuja
Taxodium mucronatum photo
An uptight photo
bluethuja
Your opinion - new white pine leader
This white pine was planted last April. The idiots...
johniferous
"Best" Pseudotsuga for cold, eastern areas.
I'd like to add just a few Doug-trees to my menagerie...
wisconsitom
Test
Test
bamboo_nuts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™