clematis as cut flowers

WendyB(5A/MA)June 25, 2009

I once had Hagley Hybrid in a vase and recall that it lasted a huge amount of time in the vase. But since then I have occasionally snipped some for a vase and I don't think they lasted too long.

Is there a secret to cutting them? i.e. some number of nodes back. Or are some cultivars better in a vase than others?

please share your cut flower experience for clematis.

I usually add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to my cut water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cheri_L(z5 OH)

Just tried using clematis in a vase this year. All of them lasted over a week . . . just snipped them and put in water. Gillian Blades, Blue Ravine, Harlow Carr, Betty Corning, Huldine and another one that might be Niobe are the ones I used. Have some new ones blooming now so I'll see how they do.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 7:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

To make any cut flowers last longer bleach your vases out between uses and change the water daily. Give the stems a fresh cut with a sharp knife daily too. Scissors and pruners smash the cells that take up water. Don't hammer woody stems either despite what Martha says, she is giving very old advice.

Using commercial floral preservatives at the directed strength will be beneficial but folk remedies such as aspirin and seven up aren't.

Commercial floral preservatives contain anti bacterial ingredients and nutrients but in the wrong ratio to water they can be worse than not using at all. Many florists still don't know this and don't measure properly and are actually hastening the death of the flowers they sell.

Sad but true.

(I was a florist for over twenty years and unlike many I actually read my trade publications and attended seminars and paid attention the information coming out of the Ohio State University and Flower Council of Holland)

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™