A Couple of my Clematis

LindaMA(MA z5)June 30, 2013

Clematis is one of my favorite vines, I love them and have somewhere around 10 or 11 so far. Unfortunately, I'm running out of places to plant them and am in the process of trying to figure out where to move a couple of mine that aren't doing well in the spot where they're currently planted.

Here are a couple of photos of the ones that are currently in bloom in my garden.

Madame Baron-Veillard, Hagley Hybrid and Bonanza

Silver Moon

Venosa Violacea - This photo does not do the vine justice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sorie6(6b ok.)

OH MY sooo pretty!!

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:12PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Very nice. My Hagley is in full bloom and is a favorite pink.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:00AM
ditas

Beautiful ~ TY for posting!!!

My HH-Pink Chiffon is done w/ her 1st show - sigh! I failed to hard prune early this spring since I did prune to 10" before overwintering. She didn't do as well this season now that I set her in the ground. Do I prune her now and how far down?

Elsa was my 1st to bloom & 1st done, I pruned the upper 3rd as suggested to encourage another surge, is this right?

BTW I bookmarked *Clems. on the Web* & consult there with the 12 I have ~ but there are no suggestions on dealing w/ *after 1st show* nor *sudden wilt syndrome*. Am learning as I go ... new again to Clem care!

TIA for all the help in this Forum!!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:59AM
LindaMA(MA z5)

I hard pruned my Hayley Hybrid,Madame Baron V and VV very early this spring, around early March and they are all doing spectacular. As for Bonanza, I transplanted this one from out in front of my house to where she is now with HH and Mad. V. B. and she's doing a lot better but nothing like the other two. I've tried doing both, pruning in the fall and in the spring, depending on clem. and I've had good luck with both ways, so it's really hard for me to say.

I believe it also depends on the area where they are planted, also zone, sun/shade, water amount, soil, etc. etc. A couple of my neighbors fertilize their clematis' but I never do and get good results.

I know this spring I amended the soil in one of my perennial beds with loads of coffee grinds and shrimp and blueberry compost from the coast of Maine, and the plants are growing like crazy!

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™