My piilu in Bloom

melaroma(6)June 10, 2012

I planted this piilu last year and it is a monster! Only complaint I have is that it was suppose to bloom double flowers on the old wood and then single flowers later in the season but so far I have only gotten the single blooms. Maybe it needs another year to get better established and start performing this way. Anyone have a piilu with a different experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melaroma(6)

I forgot to post the pictures:

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:39PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

What an impressive sight! Especially considering many clematis won't do much blooming at all until their third year.

Congratulations on a job well-done.

Kate

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:32PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

What an impressive sight! Especially considering many clematis won't do much blooming at all until their third year.

Congratulations on a job well-done.

Kate

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:33PM
greenhavenrdgarden

Wow! Amazing. Where did you purchase that piilu? Locally or online? I'm impressed! I hope mine looks like that one day :)

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:35PM
melaroma(6)

Thanks, I bought it at my local nursery but they special ordered it from Monrovia. So do either of you have any experience with double blooms?

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:44PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I planted one last summer. So far, it just has the double blooms - nowhere near as many as your fabulous one! We'll see how it does for singles later....

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 8:12PM
aliceb_ma6(z6 MA)

Spectacular!

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 8:29PM
Julia NY(6)

No experience with Piilu but you photo is wonderful. I would assume that clematis was a couple of years old when you got it and perhaps the change in soil is why it is not doubling yet? Or as I have read somewhere, if your in a warm climate it tends not to double but I see your in a zone 6 so did you have extreme heat early in the spring?

Julia

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 9:25AM
ditas

Was in my wish list for this year Asao & Piilu ~ got Asao ~ sigh (found out she fades fast in the sun)! Now I wish I got Pillu!

Ditto to all the lovely praises trully impressive, Melaroma!!!

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 9:53AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Mine has always had double blooms

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:13PM
melaroma(6)

Thanks for all of the compliments! Ditas, mine is planted in a half shade garden that is bright through out the day but only gets about 3 hours of sun in the morning. I hear that of you plant Piilu in the sun her blooms tend to fade away as well.

Julia, my Piilu came in a 2 gallon container but it was really lush when I got it so I do think that it is a bit older. I'm hoping that next springs blooms will be double and that it just needs time to establish. Who knows maybe it will give me the double blooms in late summer instead. I doubt it though.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 2:27PM
melaroma(6)

Julia, I forgt to answer your question: we had a really dry and warmer than usual winter. It only snowed twice in my area and the snow only stuck around for a few days. Maybe that had a factor on the single blooms?

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 2:32PM
plantloverkat zone 9a north Houston(zone 9a)

I think the single blooms are very pretty. My Piilu has been a VERY slow grower and has yet to give me any flowers, so I would be thrilled with just a couple of those flowers on mine.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 4:37PM
melaroma(6)

So I searched on the net and found that the piilu is suppose to bloom doubles in the Spring time in colder climates (I had a warm winter) and on old wood (I didn't prune mine). However, buyorsell888 just posted pictures of his piilu with double blooms and says that he hard prunes his so maybe it doesn't bloom exclusively on old wood? This is a tricky thing. I am going to blame the warm winter for my single blooms and hope that next spring I get the doubles. Either way I got beautiful blooms on my piilu this year, so I will quit my whinning ;)

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 6:39PM
ditas

I am with plantloverkat - Melaroma your Piilu is absolutely gorgeous in that 3-hr AM sun exposure! The color is so vivid ~ Alina's is a bit lighter. The only double I have is Josephine ~ I tend to prefer all my single petalled ones!!!

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™