How long will a pumpkin last without rotting?

dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)October 15, 2008

I bought many pumpkins last year for a seasonal decoration of our club. Orange and white ones.

I kept one white one at home on my table and since last late October it remains.

I'm thinking it got no bruising in its handling.

Is this still good to cut open for a Jackolantern this year or will it be all dried out? Seems to weigh about the same as when I bought it.

Some pumpkins I got last year, when cut open, many of the seeds had already sprouted and had roots and small leaves growing inside the intact pumpkin. Weird

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_licuala(10a)

Where did you store it?

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 1:26PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Indoors

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 9:48PM
Dibbit(z7b SC)

I think it depends on a couple of factors; how mature the pumpkin was when picked, i.e.; how hard the skin was; how hot and/or humid the conditioners where you keep it; whether or not you cut into it or puncture the skin; how it was handled between harvest and your purchase; serendipity....

It sounds as though your little white one will now last for a couple of years, maybe longer, without being cut open, but..... I THINK it is dried out inside. If you want to cut into it, it should be all dried out, seeds and flesh, - no lights in it, please - but how long it would last after cutting, I dunno.... You could put a sealer on it after cutting, but only if it is totally dry. I would seal it inside and out.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 8:55AM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

I just wonder if I leave it alone where it is will it last indefinitely like a gourd?

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 9:51AM
ncgardengirl

No, Dottie it wouldn't last like a gourd. Pumpkins don't form a hard shell like gourds do and it will begin to rot at some point.
I am thinking it is probably at the point of starting to rot now. I had an orange one that I kept over a year, but when it did rot it went quickly. I can't remember exactly how long it was I do remember my SO telling me it was going to rot and I kept checking it and it wasn't until I forgot about it and it DID, gosh what a mess too!
If I were you I would go ahead and use it for a jack-o'lantern and get some use out of it. Althought like dibbit said if it is alreadly dry well, you know. FLAMELESS CANDLE! And it will not last long as a jack if it is dried out either. Maybe 2 days if you are lucky.
On the other hand you COULD just leave it alone, see how long it WILL last and report your findings back to us ;).

Either way, good luck with your white pumpkin!

:) Fran

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
gardening in the carolinas
Yeaaa, finally found this. Now I can find what is needed...
mary grether
Looking for some medium tomato ideas
I am not really interested in growing the biggest tomato....
minuet_7a
Greenville South Carolina Plant Swap
Greenville Glen will be hosting a Spring Plant Swap...
tbug
Wanted: bamboo shoots from large bamboo
I'd like to harvest bamboo shoots from large bamboo(to...
lillon
Sponsored Products
Yuri Pysar Sakura Hugs Gallery-Wrapped Canvas Print
$49.99 | zulily
SL Loft Medium Firm 10-inch Urban Queen-size Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Beat Vessel - Tall by Tom Dixon
$1,250.00 | Lumens
MaxLite MLFP22EP36 Edge Lit LED Flat Panel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Pueblo
Home Depot