Sick Tangerine!! help!

kbeard2323(Z9b Tampa, FL)May 28, 2012

We hit it with a heavy done of fungicide two weeks ago and it has continued to get worse. What started as spots and progressed to yellowing leaves and a leaf drop has now led to open sores on this tree. Six months ago I would have told you this was the happiest tree on the block, we got an amazing crop of fruit from it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12437565@N08/7288700076/in/photostream

Please please tell us what we can do to save this tree. Should I cut off the branch with the open sore? That is the only one like it on the tree, other than that we have spots bigger than a silver dollar on the branches and some leaves yellowing/dropping.

Possible I could have overfertilized it, but that would've been many weeks ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Have you called or visited your local extension office? In a citrus state, you'll find them more than happy to help.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 4:02PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Dang. The first thing that comes to mind is some kind of Canker or crown rot(Phytophthora)?

That tree looks pretty old also. How old is it?

That will keep spreading and getting worse. If that was my tree I would have chopped it off at about 2 feet down on healthy wood and treated the open cut and area with copper. But I know how hard it is to cut a tree that you love.

Do a search on Phytophthora spp. on Citrus. Its no joke. It usually starts lower from root damage or rot.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 10:18PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

If that is Phytophthora parasitica I think once it takes hold there is really nothing you can do. You can treat the soil with a systemic fungicide but I dont know of any systemic fungicides. If its too bad you cannot fix it and your tree will die.

If your tree is OLD it might just be its time. I have heard of trees putting out HUGE bumper crops the year or two before they die. I dont know though and I wish you well.

I would definitely take some samples to your extension office NOW.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 10:26PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

kbeard, we should stress that anyone growing citrus in a state where citrus is an important crop has a responsibility to report difficult or very sick trees to your Extension office asap. Homeowner cooperation is essential in saving the citrus industry in Florida. It may not be something lethal and they can also help you with that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's call your Extension Office right away!

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Ants on blossoms?
Is it okay for the Blossom/plant?
coconutman
How to prune a Gold Nugget tree
I have a young Gold Nugget tree and, searching information...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Unripe fruit falling off dwarf Meyer lemon tree
Hi everyone, This is the first time IâÂÂve posted...
ndvnprt
Sponsored Products
Deeco Western Basket Weave Jr. Chimnea - DM-6035J-AA
$334.99 | Hayneedle
Ruvati Stainless Steel Commercial Style Kitchen Faucet with Soap Dispenser
Overstock.com
7W 12V MR16 GU5.3 V3 Vivid LED NFL Bulb by Bulbrite
$39.99 | Lumens
Area Rug: Serendipity Ivory 3' 9" x 5' 2"
Home Depot
True Modern | Jackson Corner Sectional Sofa
YLiving.com