Cherub did it again!

karyn1(7a)November 25, 2009

Those of you that were around last year might remember my Cherub that formed a seed pod in the absence of any other brugs. It was the only brug that was in the house and the blooms opened while it was inside. A couple weeks ago I put a Cherub with several blooms opening in the basement. They did start to open outside this time but they were on my front doorstep well away from any other brugs. They hadn't opened completely and while outside it had already gotten cold with a few nights of frost so there weren't many insects flying around anyway. It appears that it formed seed pods again. I guess that there's a remote possibility that it could have been pollinated while outside but last year there was no possibility of cross pollination. I called it my immaculate conception brug. lol BTW the only reason I brought this one in is because it didn't have a scent while inside. I can't stand the smell of brugs in an enclosed space.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruth_ann(Z5 Ont.Can.)

Karyn, the ABADS registry list has not much info, not even the classification. I wonder if it is an Arbourea because those are able to self pollinate.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 9:37AM
karyn1(7a)

Ruth Ann I bought this Cherub from somewhere several years ago. I can't remember but it was definitely a purchase, not a trade. I thought it was so odd that it developed a pod last year and the seeds were viable. B. arborea is the only self pollinating brug that I'm aware of. I wonder if this isn't a true Cherub? It's blooms are somewhat lighter then Cherub pics that I've seen but I always attributed that to temps as it always blooms very late in the season when temps have cooled. This is what my Cherub looks like. Does it look like it's properly identified?

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 2:07PM
haase(10 CA)

Whatever it's true identity, it is sure beautiful!
Ingrid

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 2:12PM
fool4flowers(8)

It is beautiful. I know the bees have been pollinating mine. I have a ton of seed pods on Hawaiian Double White but doubt if any of them get to mature since I'm not digging that huge thing up. I will try to protect it as long as I can in the ground though since it is most likely crossed with Naughty Nick or Charles Grimaldi.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 3:10PM
chena(z8 Texas)

Here is a pic of mine... Did you grow out last yrs??

Kylie

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 4:13PM
karyn1(7a)

They look like different varieties. Not only the color but the shape of the bloom as well. Hmmmm??? I have a few seedlings but none have reached blooming size. The foliage on your plant looks so nice and full. Mine was kind of lanky this season, tall with a poof of foliage at the top. I don't remember what it's looked like in previous years.

Bookmark   November 26, 2009 at 1:32AM
More Discussions
goodgirl35us
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
Why don't my plants set seeds??
I have had my brugs for over 30 years and to my knowledge...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Chocolate Brug
Gm, This is Eddie. Can you please email me at Eddie.Stiltner@my.lr.edu I...
eddiedewayne
brugmansia cuttings for postage?
Hi Guys!! I haven't been on in awhile, my new little...
keriann_lakegeneva
Sponsored Products
Henri Studio Valencia Cherub Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus
Dale Tiffany Asphodel Tulip Accent Lamp
Lamps Plus
Design Toscano Balancing a Dream Sculpture - NG29240
$72.90 | Hayneedle
Jeco Cherub Water Indoor / Outdoor Fountain with LED Light - FCL078
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International Medium Sitting Cherub Cast Stone Garden Statue - C-102-AL
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Cherub Puppy Wall Plaque - 1175
$39.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™