Huernia ID?

paul_(z5 MI)August 13, 2010

I received this Huernia in trade in what was supposed to be just Huernia zebrina cuttings. While the other cuttings were all indeed Huernia zebrina, this one obviously isn't. The flower, about the size of a nickel, is actually much darker than in the photos -- more of a maroon color.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

I believe it is Huernia schneideriana.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 12:17AM
cactusmcharris

Paul,

I agree with Rosemarie's ID. How does it smell?

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:04AM
norma_2006

Rosemarie how would you like to spend two weeks vacation at my house and put names on my plants, you are great. It would be easy I don't have cactus. Norma

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:07AM

Ha ha, sorry, Norma...but I have a list a MILE long of To Do's (although I could use a vacation)! As it is, I play hooky when I get on here! Squeezing out even a few minutes is rough. Have to get up at 2AM to play! Need my fix & feed my obsession!

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 8:17AM
paul_(z5 MI)

Thanks folks!

The scent is very faint -- I was unable to detect any until I had the flower about a centimeter under my nose. Even then I'm having trouble categorizing the smell. Not sure if it strikes me as a bit more fecal or more of something rotting. Either way ... glad it isn't more pungent. LOL.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 9:12AM
paul_(z5 MI)

Hmmm, someone on another forum suggested it might be Huernia aspera which also looks similar to mine. Anyone know of an easy way to tell them apart? (I hope there aren't any other "look alike" candidates to muddy the issue but with my like there are. LOL)

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 10:01AM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

it looks to be the same Huernia schneideriana maroon that I have,the color is lighter than mine, not much of a smell of any kind, it blooms all summer and will bloom year round if it get lots of light

Bear

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 10:20AM

While the flowers of H. aspera can look similar to H. schniederiana, the leaves of H. aspera have a much more smooth look to them... not near as pronounced bumps & spikes on it as on H. schneideriana (as shown in Bear's pic as well-NICE plant you have there!).

If you can join the stapeliads.info site, you can see many examples in their photo database (see link below).

(Which other forum?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stapeliads

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Aeonium hybrids from Southern California
these always look great this time of year (their 'happy...
palmbob
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Jade tree pricing
Okay this may sound like a silly question but a Gollum...
Hamza Nobes
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™