egg shell & vinegar for kumquat on own roots

Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)May 7, 2013

For micro nutrients I currently use roofing nails soaked in vinegar to chelate the zinc and Iron .I get my manganese from chips off a heavily used railway track and soak it in vinegar. For magnesium I can use epsom salt. The question. should I use eggshell and if so do I powder it in mortar and pestle or dissolve it in vinegar. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is my seed grown meiwa kumquat tree it will be used on. I also have 2 happy nagami 's also from seed along with 4 sweet lee tangerine trees from seed.

Thanks steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Im curious. How do you know exactly how much of the metals you are giving the trees if any at all?

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 5:03PM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

My poncirus tree starts getting yellowish leave. I give it a tablespoon of this fluid after all chemical reactions have stopped,. With in a week the leaves green up and the new leaves start out green. After about another month the new leaves start coming out yellow and I hit it again. The kumquat trees do not show this as quick but they are also sensitive and I treat it when my PT are in need. The smart thing to do is graft my meiwa kumquat to the PT's but after about 30 attempts I decided to grow nagami s for interstock and try again. Buying a tree is not an $$$-option.

MY PONCIRUS TRIFOLIATA

MY NAGAMI KUMQUAT AND MEIWA GROWN FROM SEED.CLICK LINK BELOW

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5869826671114565057/5869826835853592178?banner=pwa

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:15PM

Should the eggshells be composted and aged first

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 10:12PM
yakkwak(8A)

I've always understood that eggshells do help add calcium to soil in the LONG run but would not break down quickly enough to help soon - especially for container plants.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 12:51AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

you are better off using gypsum

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:18AM

Thanks fellow citrus'ers, for responding and helping out. with my question. I think its to the compost pile for the eggshells and I'll stick to more readily available nutrients for my citrus trees

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
My Lemon Cleaning Miracle - Excess Lemons!!
So, I'm sitting at the dining table last night gazing...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™