on a 'sacred' mission !

vicjgOctober 17, 2008

Where are all the rohdea japonicas?! I discovered Japanese Sacred Lilly in the Asiatic gardens at Sarah Duke Gardens last December. Evergreen foilage-check, red berries in winter-check, shade loving-check, I even hear it is deer resistant.. watch out hostas!...

Does anyone out there know where I can find one for sale in the NC piedmont, or will I have to search online for a nursery. thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemlady(z7NC)

I have a large one. Evergreen and deer resistant - check. Berries - not mine! Shade loving - check. I got it at Niche Gardens, I think. Denise

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 12:50PM
trianglejohn

PDN has them.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 1:03PM
spazzycat_1

I can confirm that they are deer resistant. They are my hosta substitute. The species is quite affordable, but be aware that many of the cultivars are highly collectible and can get quite expensive.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 1:33PM
dyhgarden(7b)

I don't have it (not enough shade), however, I think rhodea japonica combined with ferns and hellebores makes a striking foliage combo. I can't remember where I saw those together...could it have been the PDN gardens? I'll look through my photos.

Cameron

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 6:08PM
susie-nc

HI VICIG, I have this plant.I have about 6 pots of it.These are from my plant that I split up over the summer.I have never planted it in the shade so I don't know how well it will grow in shade.

CAMERON, I have grown this plant in full sun for years.I get the red berries on this plant in full sun too.I also have them planted with hellebores........Diane

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 6:56PM
ncrescue

Gethsemane GArdens in Brown Summit has several different types. The solid green costs $6-$8 per gal. pot, and she also has a variegated one that is a little more expensive. Mine are in part to full shade and do set berries, which have seeded out over the years. They are easy to transplant if you get babies. Besides being deer resistant, they also do well in droughts. A new hybrid is still selling for $100+. It has skinny and pleated leaves...very interesting. Rohdeas are not fast growing but can take a lot of abuse. I had three in nursery plastic pots under a deck for years, but they did not die. However, when liberated into the outdoors, they quickly grew to a nice size. I prefer natives, but this plant really does well for me and adds interest, especially in the winter, in shady areas with Hexastylis and another non-native I like, Autumn fern.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 9:46PM
Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)

I checked the J C Raulston Arboretum 'Current Plantings' and found six varieties of Rohdea japonica listed as growing there. Three are in the Winter Garden in beds 19a (medial variegation & white marginal variegation) & 19d (Miyako-no-jo), two are in the Lath House in beds L13 (Nobori ryu) & L16 (Tyokkinna-zo), and there is one (Claudia Phelps) in front of the McSwain Educational Bldg in bed Su3. I will make it a point to look at them and report whether they are in flower, etc.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™