Thoughts on fire ants, raised beds and self-watering containers?
Before we moved in, poor hubby was bitten about 14 times on one leg by fire ants as he was taking pictures of the house. He promptly got the bait poison and it seemed to have resolved the ant issue for now.
His leg looked really bad for about 10 days, with long red streaks where the toxin had traveled down his leg.
Question 1: Is there any medical treatment available for fire ant bites of that magnitude? He never felt the stings because he has an arthritic condition in his spine that causes both pain and numbness in his legs. I am afraid he might unknowingly get stung again despite our keeping the ant poison on hand.
Question 2: If I built raised beds for our future veggie patch, or constructed some big self-watering containers (which have 2-4 inches of water in the bottom that wicks up into the soil in the container above), am I inviting fire ants to come set up housekeeping in the raised bed or container? Or do they just come and set up housekeeping regardless?
Thanks for any advice!