Advise on companion for SAC

pump_toad(z4 iowa)June 8, 2009

I am quite sure everyone is going to say no,no,no don't do that but let me give you some details first.

I have a 3 year old SAC planted on a trellis on one side of a old metal clothesline pole which is cemented deeply in the ground. I would like to plant a clematis on the opposite side so they could intertwine.

If I go ahead with his what companion would you suggest?

If you still believe that it would be a mistake please be honest and I know I can count on you guys for that.

Lois

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetpetiole(4b)

They seem so innocent when they are young, don't they?

You could try Polish Spirit.

If you want a big white vine that blooms earlier, after your SAC swallows up the trellis and one of your neighbors, Huldine is a good choice and will play nicely with the other bigger viticellas.

Do you get blooms on your SAC? Early frosts nipped the flower buds on mine a couple of times before the plant was in full bloom so I got rid of it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 3:17PM
pump_toad(z4 iowa)

Janetpetiole,
Thanks for reply. I can tell there was not much enthusiasm on the forum for this idea.LOL!!
I think I will try Polish Spirit and actually that was my first thought. I am not even sure my SAC is going to make it.I hard pruned this spring but only have 2 small shoots showing.It's doubtful.
Lois

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 6:33PM
janetpetiole(4b)

If it survives, it will mostly likely smother whatever you put pair with it.

If you're going to order polish spirit or venosa violace you might as well get huldine too. Either would be stunning.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:11PM
pump_toad(z4 iowa)

Thanks again. I do have Venosa and Huldine and actually I thought I had a Polish Spirit but after 5 years it has never bloomed so I think it was mislabled.I have hard pruned it every spring and maybe it is the type that should not be pruned. I have another Clem. growing beside it and it blooms so it must not be the soil condition.
I am going to try and get a Polish Spirit on sale so if SAC smothers it eventually I guess I could transplant or dig up.
Lois

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 8:29PM
janetpetiole(4b)

Sounds like a good plan, Lois.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™