Whiteflies on my Meyer Lemon

krismast(6 S.E. PA)May 21, 2012

Today on my meyer lemon, I noticed a few whiteflies on the leaves and I was hoping to nip it in the bud before it got too bad. I have some Bonide ready to use spray that has neem oil in it. Will that work? Should I just follow the directions as listed? Also, this is a newly transplanted (one week ago) tree. The label on the spray says it should not be used on newly transplanted trees. Is it too soon to use it?

Thanks

Kristopher

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Do you have any plain horticultural oil? Summer weight oils, when applied to the underside of the foliage will smother eggs and pupae of whitefly quite nicely. Spraying the bottom surface is imperative.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:33PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

I always wondered what the difference was between neem and horticulture oil.

Is horticulture oil just petroleum oil? Also what is a "summer weight" oil? Do you call it that because its lighter made to deal with the hot sun of summer to not scorch the plant?

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 12:47AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Neem oil IS one of the horticultural oils, though it is clearly has a very unique ingredient. Hort. oils are usually a highly refined and filtered petroleum oil though some are vegetable based. Emulsifying agents are added to allow the product to be applied cleanly with water. You can purchase an oil that is especially manufactured to be lighter OR you will often find alternative directions for mixing on your standard hort. oil.

I was reading a report recently that said that the use of oil applications (not neem) for whitefly can reduce their egg laying by as much as 95%.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here for some good information

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon Plant
I bought a Meyer Lemon plant from Lowes. It was green...
scarlett2
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™