growing chicken feed in NC ideas

quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)October 4, 2010

Now that I have hens, I want to grow things they like to eat to supplement their feed. If anyone near me (Forsyth Co. NC) has any suggestions or annual seeds or perennials to share that chickens eat, please get in touch to swap. The list is quite long, but a few are that they will eat in the garden: amaranth, mustard, kale, comfrey, squashes of all kinds, beets. For more reading on the subject http://www.chickensinthecity.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

If you have a compost pile the soldier fly larvae and pupae are one of the highest natural sources of calcium that chickens love to eat. The pupae look like dark trilobites or some sort of prehistoric life form. They are usually in the dirt away from anything fresh and new in the pile. You can freeze them and feed them all winter.

My chickens always loved left over human food - preferring a cooked squash over a fresh one, so I would cook up odd casseroles of veggies and cereal and plop it on the ground for them to demolish.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 9:20AM
maewest(7/8)

Try sorghum, vigorous as all heck and will survive almost anything, easy to harvest or you can leave it standing and let the chickens harvest it. It also makes a good grain for human consumption, cook it like brown rice, it tastes like almonds but has about the same nutritional content as other whole grains. Chewy and tasty.

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 8:42PM
rockguy(7a)

Corn. You can grind it a little since some chickens won't eat it whole-kernal.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™