Are Limes ripe?

bchboundMay 23, 2012

I have 4 limes on my dwarf lime tree. The limes are about 2 inches long each. The tree is supposed to be a Dwarf Key or Mexican Key Lime. How will I know if they are ripe and ready for harvest? Here are some pics.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

They will begin to get a yellowish tinge; in fact if you leave them on the tree they will get a light yellow; and in my opinion, that is when they are best.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 5:50PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

What John said. Here, Mexican Limes are ripe from October through January or so (in the ground.) Your ripening times should be very close, so you've a ways to go. I've included a link to the Mexican Lime from the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection because it shows a great photo of what they should look like when they're actually ripe - a pale greenish yellow. I think any less ripe than this makes them kind of acrid. Same with the Bearss Lime. I know some people like that acrid taste, but I don't. Just too strong for me. I like my limes to taste limey and not bitter.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection: Mexican Lime

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:44PM
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

That doesn't look anything like my key lime tree (citrus aurantifolia). Your fruit is more oblong than mine (like a bearss) and it doesn't look to be growing in clusters like mine tend to do. Did you thin it out? Your leaves also look larger than I'd expect.

Unless the camera is playing tricks on me that looks more like a Bearss seedless lime tree to me. I'm sure others would be better able to verify .. but it looks nothing like my key lime...

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:56PM
bchbound

The tree is just finished struggling through the winter indoors. The leaves were smaller. Many fell off. Now the leaves that are left are quite big.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 11:26AM
chopinlover

I don't think they are ready. I have a Bearrs lime in the ground and the fruit is not ready until about 1st week of october....and it's much hotter and sunnier here.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™