Can you identify this plant?

wendync(7b)October 29, 2012

Hey guys,

So we moved into a new home a little over a month ago. The previous owners had done a lot of work in the yard planting, however, it looks like everything has overgrown and become a mess in the past few months.

Can you identify this plant that's in a stone planter? It's very pretty and blooming right now, but it is so leggy and stretched all over the place. There's something growing right in there with it, but I'm not sure what that is either. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wendync(7b)

Few more

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 6:07PM
wendync(7b)

Purple bush

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 6:08PM
trianglejohn

The first photo is a Lantana. There are two main varieties of lantana, one is more bush like and one is more ground cover-ey. This purply one is one of the ground cover types. They don't often get mentioned as winter hardy but I have the same plant in my yard and it always comes back.

The hot pink flower off to the side may be a geranium (pelargornum) or maybe a petunia.

The second photo is poke weed. A weed that you most likely do not want in your yard. They do have pretty magenta stems this time of year and birds love to eat the berries (poisonous to humans).

The third photo is a Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii). It looks like one of the compact forms to me. Maybe 'Blue Chip' developed here at NC State. Butterfly bushes and Lantana are related and both do an excellent job of attracting butterflies and bees to your garden.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 9:24AM
chas045(7b)

Thank you wendync for posting so that John could point out these unusual (to me anyway) lantana and small butterfly bushes.

The red flower in the first photo IS a geranium. You can see the large leaf at the right-most center of the print. I bring it up because it won't survive the winter here. They can only take mild freezes. However, they can be brought in (or stored in the garage) for the winter. In CA where I came from, they lasted for 50 years until we had a two day hard freeze.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 3:03PM
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

John, are you sure that's buddleia in the third pic? The leaves look a little small to me. I thought it might be a spirea.

The first picture has some virginia creeper mixed in with the lantana (the five-lobed vine).

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 1:02AM
kal2769(Zone 8)

The purple blooms and habit of the plant reminds me most of 'Homestead Purple' Verbena.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 8:40PM
trianglejohn

It looks like my 'Blue Chip' Butterfly Bush to me. I think we need a close up to be sure.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™