When to stop deadheading?

Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7bOctober 3, 2012

When should I stop deadheading, if I want to collect some seeds/let some seeds go to the ground? I live in the Piedmont NC area. I am specifically wondering about dianthus (labelled annuals) and marigolds. Both are still blooming quite well right now (though some dianthus plants are slowing down). Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

if you want seeds to set, stop now, though it might be too late. The dianthus will more than likely overwinter- they are pretty hardy, even the ones labelled as annuals. But the marigolds will be done as soon as frost hits them.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:15PM
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

Yikes! I actually stopped a few weeks ago. For future reference, when should I have stopped? I do hope the dianthus overwinters! Thanks!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 6:49PM
Deborah-SC(8a)

If these plants are hybrids they won't come true from saved seed.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 8:52PM

I am aware of that, but thanks so much for pointing that out in case I didn't. I know there are a lot that don't know that, so good to not have unwanted surprises. :)

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 7:45PM
john3(7a)

My suggestions would be to contact your county extension office to ascertain correct timing for seed saving. Hopefully, there'd be master gardeners on duty to help you in this effort. Maybe, there's even a state publication of this very subject, or have a leaflet online for viewing. I'm going to check this out myself, here in Buncombe Co., so thanks for posting this worthwhile inquiry!

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 2:38PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

I'd probably stop deadheading marigolds in mid August so the plant has a rest and recovery time. You can collect the August seedheads in Sept/Oct as the last flush of bloom is coming out.
Dianthus I just shear after spring bloom and pinch off any odd buds developing over the hot months so I get a better second bloom in late September but that's just the variety I have which are the low, mound growing type. I'm not interested in saving seed so much as getting two good flushes of blooms.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 2:50PM

Thanks, everyone! Thankfully, I have been able to get a TON of marigold seeds. :):):) I didn't do so well with the dianthus, but I have a bunch of seeds from the Dollar General clearance sell. I appreciate all the tips!

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™