Clematis Pruning Groups...

fluffybuttJune 18, 2013

Which pruning group do you prefer to get for which locations? Do you prefer 3 to 2 or does it matter to you? I know that group one would have certain applications as you don't have to prune those.

I bought four more on clearance at Lowes and most are a 3 but one is a 2. Trying to figure out what to put where.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I try to group them by pruning type to make pruning easier.

I try to put ones that are type 1 & 2 where I don't have to look at them in the winter since the dead vines aren't too decorative. The areas I see in winter get type 3's since I can prune them back in early winter and just have the trellis or bare-branched shrub that it is growing on to look at.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:05AM
fluffybutt

Thanks, that's a good point. I've got a Bees Jubilee (group 2) and Moonfleet (group 3). I think I'll put the Bees Jubilee with my Henryii, and the moonfleet on the trellis next to the patio.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:39PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

You might want to add zone and general location data in your profile so that it will show up when you post so that you get info best targeted for your area. For instance, the thing about clematis appearance in winter probably wouldn't be nearly as significant in California as it is around me since our growing season at best 7 months.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 9:14PM
fluffybutt

Ok thanks, I'll do that.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
ianrtaylor
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™