Gritty Mix CRF

juventusopp(6B)May 4, 2014

Hello all

I've recently moved over all my citrus plants to al's gritty mix. I did not add a CRF at the time but want to now. I believe citrus need a fertilizer ratio of 5-1-3? and my plants are currently being given FP 9-3-6. I don't have access to the osmocote line of products because I live in Canada. Can anyone recommend a different product or a favourable citrus ratio for a CRF that I can add? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

There is no need to add the controlled fertilizer unless you don't plan on using your Foliage Pro..

By the way, despite what others may think, it is the only product you need to use if used consistently as your trees love:-)

MIke

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:04PM
juventusopp(6B)

I agree, FP is great and provides everything they need. However, i would still like to add a CRF because I am going out of town for a while and really don't trust my friend will water everything correctly haha.

Thanks

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:34AM
cebury(9)

Agree with Mike 100%.

Go ahead and add the Osmocote to supplement at half dosage. It's fine esp for short vacations. The gritty mix has always needed way more fert for my trees, but living in 6b is a different experience than mine.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:23PM
juventusopp(6B)

Thanks. As I mentioned above I don't have access to osmocote and would like to know a ratio favourable for citrus only. Eg 5-1-3 Thanks

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:34PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Cebury is dead on@!

That is why I asked you if you were going to be consistent...

Our mixes require a heck of fertilizing and the control release helps a ton..When I was on my broken foot, I depended heavily on the CRF...

I think your CRF will be just fine..

Good luck

Hello my friend Cebury! Hoping you and your trees are well these days..I was thinking of you last week:-)

Mike

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:45PM
juventusopp(6B)

I don't have a CRF. My citrus are only getting FP. I'd like to add a CRF but need to know a ratio that would work well for the parameters I've mentioned above.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:53PM
cebury(9)

Juventusopp:

As you can infer from our posts, it's almost doesn't matter what ratio for "extra CRF here and there". Most of the stuff you'll find will be suitable, because you are already using FP.

Anything near 5-1-3, 3-1-2, or even 3-1-1 will be great for that purpose. Heck, I would even use 14-14-14 if that's all I had and was going to use before I went on vaca. If you can find one with micros including calcium, even better. There are plenty of 14-3-9, 18-6-9, 14-14-14, and 17-5-8 retailed CRFs -- all will work acceptably.

But keep in mind, your CRF won't adequately "feed" your plants when you are on vacation if your friend doesn't water much. The majority of CRF is released when the soil is watered (moisture or moisture+temp triggers the release of nutrients).

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 8:29PM
juventusopp(6B)

Great thanks. I will continue to use FP but wanted some insurance as well. They are heavy feeders so it should only help. Thanks all.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Citrus Source in TX
I am interested in growing a dwarf sunbust tangerine...
sgreer13
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Mexican Lemon
There is not much about this tree even here. Does anyone...
Frank Car
Help with ground planting & care of Hamlin Orange tree in Ft. Lauderda
I am new to growing and caring for orange trees, having...
Shelly K.
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
Jacq Davis
Sponsored Products
Cream Seat with Brown Back Monza Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture
Alexis Metal & Glass Vases
$12.99 | Dot & Bo
Greenwich Area Rug
Grandin Road
Nourison Area Rug: Modesto Vines Green 3' 11" x 5' 3"
$56.97 | Home Depot
Cabo Higball Glasses (Set of 4)
Overstock.com