winter vegetable garden

dogridge(7b nc)October 20, 2008

What are your favorite vegetables for growing through the winter?

What do you use to protect the crops?

What are you planting now? Seed or transplant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)

I have planted 6 kinds of spinach, several kinds of lettuce, mizuna and other Asian greens, beets, cilantro, broccoli, snow peas, fava beans, radishes and Mesclun mixed greens. I intended to plant parsley, arugala, carrots and turnips, but did not find any seed that I liked. I use row cover/shade cloth laid over hoops of nine-gauge wire (from Lowe's) and add polyethylene plastic if the weather will drop much below 30 F.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 3:27PM
docarwen(6)

Ralph, what criteria do you use for seeds?

dogridge, I have spinach, kale, india mustard, swiss chard, carrots, radishes, broccoli, snow peas, a couple lettuce, and leeks. A lot of these are experimental -- first year doing a winter garden -- but I suspect that if you're planting now, you would want to transplant and row cover... I might be wrong, but it feels like it's getting a bit late for seeds (except radishes, onions, leek type things) and might be slightly early for winter sowing.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 11:59AM
dogridge(7b nc)

Thanks guys.

I have lettuce, arugula, parsnips, radishes. Everything has germinated except for the parsnips, so I'm hoping with a cover I can get a little harvest.
I'm thinking of putting in some shallots, garlic and maybe snow peas. Will the snow peas do anything during the winter, or do you plant to get a head start on spring?
Do you think sowing leek seeds would work? I haven't seen any leek sets to use. How about brocoli transplants? Is it too late to put those in?

Thanks- this is my first winter garden. We just moved and created a new veggie garden and I am excited to get started.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 1:58PM
computergardener(z7 NC)

I live in Raleigh and I currently have...

Carrots / Radishes / Broccoli / Spinach and and Lettuce in the ground. This is my last year of growing spinach and lettuce without a cold frame. They just take forever to grow on their own. Last year I grew Brussels sprouts also.

John...

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™