Help overwintering Hibiscus acetasello

Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)October 5, 2009

I have tried unsuccessfully a couple of times to overwinter this tender Hibiscus in my minimally heated greenhouse, but each time it quickly faded away. Has anyone had any success keeping it alive during the winter months? I have rooted about a dozen cuttings of H. acetasello 'Haight Ashbury', and can bring some to the Raleigh plant swap this weekend if you have a warm greenhouse and want to try overwintering it. Of if your are not coming to the swap but are in the Raleigh area and want to try it, email me. For anyone not familiar with this Hibiscus, its foliage looks very much like a dark bronze Japanese maple. Its flowers are insignificant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

I don't have a warm greenhouse, but have you tried it in the house? I could try that for you- i have windows in all directions- surely one exposure might work?

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 10:56AM
trianglejohn

Back when I grew it I tried it every way possible and never got it to last until Spring. I think it needs supplemental light, that our winter days are too short for it. Keeping it warm and moist is one thing but I think you'll need a light source on a timer to give it 12 hours of daylight each day at least.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 5:37PM
mommyto2(NC7)

I overwintered mine in the house last year. I have a large window that faces east and can get some south sun during the winter. I overwintered all of my cuttings (hibiscus, coleous, brugs, elephant ear babies, etc) with no supplemental light. I had to turned them every now and then to keep them from leaning to one side, but aside from that, they made it through just fine.
I suggest that you don't over water them. In my experience over watering in winter is the major reason for any plant failing to survive. There were times when I only water them until the soil felt almost dry and the pot was light and I picked it up.
I'm hoping to overwinter mine this year again. I just dug one out of the bed to make room for other plants and the remaining one is about 5 feet wide and 7 feet long and I have trimmed it twice during the year :0)

Monica

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 6:44PM
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

Ralph, my greenhouse will be up and running in about 3 weeks and I plan on keeping it warm enough to get my coleus through, so it will probably be warmer than yours. I've never tried to overwinter 'Haight Ashbury' but I'd be glad to give it a shot.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™