Help identify my yuzu tree pest

c1trus953May 7, 2013

We live in sunny California and recently planted yuzu tree in our backyard. Right away we notice that the new leaves are eaten by pests. Originally we saw ants and we sprayed the tree. Ants are gone but something still eating my yuzu plant and the orange tree next to it. Mostly just the new leaves. The yuzu tree is small - maybe 3 feet high. The orange maybe 6 or 7 feet.
I've been watching the plants and see no evidence of caterpillars, leaf miners, or snails. We do have snail food as bait around the plants.

What could possibly be the culprit? Thank you in advance. Would love to post more pictures if needed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Earwigs???

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:40PM
c1trus953

With earwigs, are they obvious with naked eyes? I've not seen them. I am not having any luck seeing the pests in my trees.

Saw this (attached pic) on my orange tree leaves, which is next to my yuzu - not touching. Could these what's making holes on the leaves of both my yuzu and orange trees? Thanks.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 4:44PM
johnmerr(11)

Looks to be some sort of mite; you can treat with horticultural oil, or neem oil if you prefer. That is not what is chewing your leaves. If it is earwigs, you can find them on the ground under wood, leaves, etc. They do most of their damage at night, so you may not see them during the day on your plants.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Help Identifying Citrus Disease?
Hi all, We just bought our first house and there's...
tvscribe
My poor Lemon Tree!
So, I got up this morning after only about 3 inches...
cygnwulf
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™