Navel Orange indoor

sgiraseMay 19, 2012

I just got a navel orange tree from home depot. Is this the kind of tree that needs two plants to bear fruit? I only got one tree so I might have to go back to get another one if required. I was hoping it would fruit without a companion plant.

Also since the temperatures are over 50 now I have placed it on the patio.

What other plant care do I need to take? I am a newbie so please answer accordingly:)

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cayden(9)

Your tree doesn't need a companion ... in fact it doesn't even need bees! Navel oranges are parthenocarpic which basically means they are virgins and as a result seedless.

I'm somewhat of a beginner with citrus myself; but read around, there's several very knowledgable people here that can give you some great advice about container growing citrus.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:43PM
denninmi(8a)

Orange trees are self-fertile, so only the one plant is required to produce fruit. However, if kept indoors, you would need to pollinate the flowers by hand with a tiny artist's brush or cotton swab. Since you have it outdoors, pollinators should find it readily and do the job.

Citrus is easy to care for. Outdoors in summer, first in shade for a week or so to ease the transition, then another week in semi-shade, then into sunlight. Be sure to bring in before any danger of frost. Indoor conditions should be very bright, coolish, and the tree should be allowed to get just slightly dry between waterings. Watch for mites and scales on the mature growth, and aphids on the new growth.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:44PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Don't need to pollinate citrus, denninmi. Nearly all citrus are parthenocarpic as cayden has mentioned (with the more notable exception of clemintine mandarins, which do need cross pollination). That means that they can produce fruit without needing to be pollinated. And your orange tree will enjoy being outside as much as possible. Water appropriately and fertilize regularly (our container citrus folks can advise on fertilizing schedules and best products). Watch for pests/bugs and take care of them immediately with the appropriate treatments. Protect the tree if you have a wicked summer storm.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers: Growing Dwarf Citrus

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Mexican Lemon
There is not much about this tree even here. Does anyone...
Frank Car
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Help with ground planting & care of Hamlin Orange tree in Ft. Lauderda
I am new to growing and caring for orange trees, having...
Shelly K.
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™