Henryi leaves turning black!

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)June 10, 2009

I bought a Henryi clem and planted him last month. I know to plant him deep. He was healthy and green. I hard pruned to about6 to 8 inches to ground. Now he is dying I think! I have 5 other clems in the vicinity (no, not right next to him lol) and they are doing great! I can't figure it out. Will more buds come up, maybe next spring? Or later this season? I do keep watered well. All the rest of my clems in the bed are doing great. I have two Henryi's. One from Brushwood and he is doing great, and one from Garden Crossings, the one that isn't. All the other clems I got from either place are doing great. So, it isn't the vendors as they send beautiful, healthy clems.

Any ideas? If drainage were an issue, I would think that all the other clems would be dying too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

It probably has clematis wilt. Remove all the dead leaves and stems and keep it watered. Hopefully it will come back from the root later this year or next spring.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:27AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Prune the wilted vine even with the soil...keep moist and more vines should emerge from the soil again...Jeanne
ps..Mine wilted the first year and in about 6 weeks he shot up two new vines and never wilted again

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 10:44AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Not dying. Unfortunately Clematis tend to do this. It is very annoying.....It should come back.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™