Red Butterfly Bush

puppyscruff(7/NC)October 1, 2012

I've had problems with 2 individual red butterfly bushes. Both died. Not sure if they were Miss Molly or Miss Ruby or another cultivar. A friend who is a better gardener than moi, told me one died on her this summer also. Is there anything going on with these plants/color. Most buddleia grow like weeds...I must have about 8 in my garden of various colors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosta200

I've have a Miss Ruby that I've been keeping in a pot for the last two years. I just put it in the ground this summer.It did okay in the pot but didn't realy thrive. I'll have to wait til next spring to let you know how it does in the ground. Like you most of my other butterfly bushes grow like weeds and I am always pulling up seedlings. The only one I have had problems with has been "Honeycomb" (the yellow one), Ive lost two of them.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 7:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puppyscruff(7/NC)

Thanks Hosta200. I was hoping to get more of a response from other posters to get a feel for the problem, but your comment helps.

My friend/neighbor and I both bought the yellow honeycomb variety about 2 years ago. They are both huge and mine is not in full sun. I even moved it in early spring b/c it had gotten too large for the spot.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™