Thinning citrus trees.

silent88May 27, 2012

Hey I was just wondering of citrus trees need to have their fruit thinned like apples and grapes? And if so is there a guide to doing it? I googled it and only found general fruit information but I feel like citrus would be a bit different since they don't set a ton of fruit to begin with right? I just got a 15g semi dwarf washigton navel orange tree that has a few fruits growing on it about the size of a nickel.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

If you tree is small, it may grow sturdier if you remove the fruit and let it grow larger. Many nurseries like to sell trees with fruit on them because they attract more buyers.

If your tree is a few years old, it may be okay with a few fruit. Navels are ripe in the winter. In future years, you will not have to thin. Oranges set out many more blooms than the tree can support, and some fruit that sets will fall off when they are tiny, so the tree is self-thinning.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 8:52PM
silent88

Thank you very much for your response. :)

It is about 3-4 feet tall and maybe 2 years old (I don't know a ton about citrus trees but it's trunk is maybe 1.3 inches thick.

Anyways, the fruit is growing fast.... if I leave it, will it be bad fruit since we are heading into summer? Should I remove it anyways?

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 2:45AM
lgteacher(SCal)

The fruit won't be bad. It takes longer than you think for it to ripen. The quality of the fruit will improve as the tree matures, so if the first few years the fruit is so-so, it will get better. Fruit production typically won't be much until the tree is more than 3 -4 years old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing citrus

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™