When is it to late to plant?

scotttydOctober 31, 2009

We are redoing much of our landscape. When is the ideal time (and when is to late in the year) to plant your typical "landscaping plants"? ex. azaleas, gold mop, sky pencil, lorapetlums, and trees such as crape myrtles?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsst(7b)

I plant year round as long as the ground is not frozen.
Right now is a great time to plant.

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 1:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

I agree, this is the best time of year for most trees and shrubs you find offered for sale.

Just read up on each type you're planting because cold,wet conditons on rootpruned stock can make for a quick death to trees/shrubs planted too deeply. In primarily clay soil wet conditions can result in a bowl of water in that hole you dug.
You're saving a great deal of $$ doing the planting yourself but you could be losing a great deal of $$ by doing the planting yourself..incorrectly. Read up on each plant before you put it in so it goes in at the right depth and in the right location for its long-term health and your enjoyment.
Top-heavys like skypencil and crapes are going to need staking for a couple of years so the wind or ice storms don't move the rootball and break the new roots. Read up on that too.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™