How do you fertilize a meyer lemon that has baby fruit on it?

ideal2545(9B)May 3, 2012

Hi All,

So my Meyer is not there yet, BUT, it just occurred to me that many people have told me that you are not supposed to fertilize a tree when it has baby fruit on it. Is it fine to just keep on using 1/4 TBSP of FP PRO when it has baby fruit on it, or better to just cut off fertilizing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Who said it was wrong to feed your tree in this stage when it is hungry?

I would continue to fertilize as you would a growing child. Good nutrition is needed at all times.

Mike

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 9:18PM
lgteacher(SCal)

Citrus that is mature enough to bear fruit can be fertilized in early spring, summer, and fall. They need more nitrogen than potassium or phosphorus.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing citrus trees

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 12:03AM
johnmerr(11)

I fertilize my Meyers 1st of January, May, and September; if the May fert period coincides with a big bloom, I delay it a few weeks. Sometimes Meyers, if fertilized during the bloom, will drop blooms and start growing leaves.

If the color is good, the plant is growing, and it is blooming, best to leave it alone until the fruits are set, then hit it with fert. and foliar with minerals.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 1:15AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Ideal: Aren't you growing in pots?

Mike

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:31AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

MeyerMike is right, container citrus will need more frequent fertilizing than in-ground citrus, so Ideal, I would follow whatever schedule Mike is using for his container citrus if you're asking about that. I would LOVE to have mine look like his, so do what Mike does with container citrus. He's got it right. In ground citrus is a different process, and what lgteacher sent you is great info for in-ground, same with John's schedule, although I don't usually fertilize until February, as it just isn't really warm enough in January where I live. I fertilize my in-ground every 2 to 3 months starting in Feb and through Oct. I try to fert. before flower buds start to appear, and then after fruit set. That can vary from variety to variety, so sometimes it's hard to time that, as I'm just too lazy to come out a different times for different trees :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 12:44PM
ideal2545(9B)

I am growing in pots indeed. Thanks for the information, I'll just keep on FP'ing with a bit of vinegar! I picked up another Meyer for the hell of it that was going to get tossed away because the owner thought it was doing poorly, it has some baby lemons on it and the leaves have signs of malnutrition RE: micronutrients, but I think FP will clear that right up sooner than later.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 8:35PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Oh yes! Foliage Pro applied at a regular basis along with vinegar will do wonders! Do you have any idea of how many trees I saved? I am still trying to figure out Lemon Meyer in my area, but I am coming along:-)

Hello Patty! I will be in touch with you soon:-)

Mike

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer 6-4-6
I buy this Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer...
Randy31513
Questions about repotting container grown citrus
Hi all, I am a complete newbie but I have taken great...
emilygreenie
Is this Oro Blanco grapefruit ripe?
Hello friends! This fell off my tree and I have n clue...
meyermike_1micha
is this realy not a sweetlee tangerine or not
Can any one help me Identify what kind of citrus tree...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
What rootstock should I use on Mineola tangelo to make it dwarf?
What type of roostock should I use to get a dwarf mineola...
luckydurazno1
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Cambridge Bed
Serena & Lily
Nickel A-Line Two-Tier Basket
$24.99 | zulily
Collapsible Produce Keeper Set
$24.99 | zulily
Veranda Chartreuse 20-Inch Decorative Pillow
$46.00 | Bellacor
Royal Heritage Home 3 Ply Flat Waterproof Portable Pads - Crib - Set of 2 Multic
$20.14 | Hayneedle
'Sing a New Song' Block
$9.99 | zulily
KidKraft Fire Truck Toddler Bedding - 77003
$41.99 | Hayneedle
Baby Aspen Ice Caps Penguin Plush and Hat for Baby - BA11039NA
$22.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™