Lawn question

AllymacNovember 25, 2012

Our small yard is surrounded by Oak trees that make growing grass impossible between the shade and competition with the trees. We have sodded, seeded and irrigated to no avail. Can I use my composted horse manuure to loosen up the soil and hopefully give the grass a chance. I am so tempted to cultivate moss!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

If you dump a mound of compost where you want to grow turf and then dig around in it ONE SEASON later you will see the feeder roots from your oak trees. You can't compete with mature oaks unless you put a barrier between them and your new lawn. Moss works great but does require some maintenance (but not as much as grass).

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

moss is wonderful- but you do have to keep leaves & such off of it, or it'll die back. Use a blower- raking tears it up. It can handle a decent amount of foot traffic. Keep it moist- it'll brown and go dormant if it gets too dry, but usually once it's moist again it just greens up super fast. There's a guy who just does moss who sells stuff in north hills shopping center. It's called moss and stone gardens. You could look them up and get lots of good advice.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™