Citrus Espalier ?'s

too_ambitious(8)May 7, 2006

Ok, so after lurking here for some time I have finally registered to ask a question of all you lovely ladies and gents.

I'm looking to grow a tree in my sheltered patio and my hubby is set on a sweet lemon (he got hooked on them when we lived in New Zealand). I *think* after much research I've found a variety of lemon that is sweet (so far it's looking like a Sanbokan Sweet Lemon) even if it most likely won't be the exact same fruit.

The clincher is that I haven't been able to find a dwarf variety of this tree. I really have no limit to how tall the tree can get, but five feet is the widest I can go. It would be up against a 5'x5' masonry wall.

My mother told me about espalier training as a way to make it... smaller and after doing some online research I've seen some really beautiful forms.

So the question is: has anyone tried this? Do you have any tips for a newbie? Should I even bother?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rickjames(9 Cali)

You must be in Florida if you're a zone 10 with access to a Sanbokan sweet lemon...which, incidentally, I would love to find in Califonia but doubt I ever will :(

I've had no need to do so, but in local nurseries and garden centers I've seen small potted citrus trees already trained to a trellis, so it is possible. You can keep your tree to any size or shape by trimming as needed, though you'd prolly have to do less if you did find a dwarfing rootstock. I'm sure it will love all the heat of z 10 with the added heat from the masonry wall...

HTH.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Meyer Lemon has sticky leaves - is this good?
Happy Winter everyone. I am new to growing my meyer...
dpolson37
Advice on struggling Ruby Red grapefruit
My grapefruit tree does not look the best at the moment....
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
KinnowLS, XieShan, Dekopan in CA.
Anyone know where these can be purchased or ship to...
cebury
Sponsored Products
'Amberton Publishing Citrus Medley' Canvas Art (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Citrus Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Five-Piece Fleur De Lis Flatware Place Setting
$140.00 | Horchow
Alessi Mysqueeze, Citrus-Squeezer
LBC Lighting
Stella Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$209.00 | Bellacor
Antica Farmacista Peonia, Gardenia & Rosa Diffuser
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Waring Pro PCJ218 Professional Citrus Juicer - PCJ218