no blooms

renelynMay 5, 2011

I have a 30 year old orange tree that has given us great fruit every year. Ready in late Feb, it always started blooming as I was harvesting. Not this year, and here we are in May and I still don't have any blooms! The tree is in excellent health with dark green healthy leaves, no blemishes or bugs. Not having blooms for the first time ever has me very confused. Any help on why is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Renelyn, I'm thinking it just may be due to our very chilly and very wet winter and spring. We just had some pretty hot weather, so watch in the next week or two, to see if you start seeing a flush and tiny blossoms starting to form. Especially if you fertilized with a lot of nitrogen before or during all the rains. You may have promoted just lovely green healthy leaves, and postponed your blossom time a bit.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 9:21PM
renelyn

Thank you Patty! You have just given me hope :-) I think what has thrown me is that I see other orange trees in my area/neighborhood already growing fruit..( and some of those trees aren't even taken care of! ) and here I still wait for blossoms. I have searched high and low on the internet and have not found any postings on the end of blossoming season, but you are right in that we had a wet/chilly winter and sudden hot weather. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 9:51PM
sandiegodude

My orange tree bloomed normally, but my lemon tree was later than last year. The cool winter (and the cool summer last year) might have something to do with it.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™