Best graft for root stock stump?

brownmolaMay 20, 2012

Hello, I was in a friend's yard and he was throwing away a pot that had a stump left in it. Upon further inspection, it looks like a trifoliata rootstock (a 2 foot tall, 3 leafed sprout was shooting out of the side of it and whatever was grafted on top was completely cut off except for about 1 inch. I'd like to cut off the top 1" and then graft onto the root stock. The root stock is about 1.5" in diameter.

What is the best method for this circumstance? Or is it a goner? The rootstock still looks alive whereas the remaining 1" graft/trunk above it looks dry/dead. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bada_bing

If it is cut off to a 1.5" diameter stump, a bark graft is the best choice and one of the easiest and most successful graft types. Scratch the bark in the area you intend to cut the stump back to and check to see if it is green underneath. I'd probably make sure to cut it below the original graft, no reason to retain any of the original scion as an interstock. If it has been cut in the last few weeks and hasn't been allowed to totally dry out for an extended period, it should be alive. If the scion wood you intend to use is readily available to you, there isn't much to loose in an attempt.

Lots of good videos posted on youtube of bark grafting, as well as other types of grafts. One tip on bark grafts is to shave the edges of the scion bevel cut to expose a sliver of cambium on the sides of the bevel. It can really improve the take percentage and recovery time on problem grafts.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 10:13PM
brownmola

Awesome. Thanks! I was thinking of doing a bark graft in this situation. Do people usually nail the scion into the rootstock or just wrap the scion?

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 10:40PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

I think you can cut a notch in the rootstock and in the scion to fit like a puzzle? Would that work with the bark method?

For example, picture a diagonal cut with a notch in it on the rootstock. Now picture the same diagonal cut on the scion with an opposite notch cut to fit in/against the rootstock. Then wrap it up.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Unsure about the health of my Meyer Lemon..
Hello all! I have dwarf Meyer Lemon plant that I bought...
barbl
Is this abnormal calamondin behavior?
The leaves on my potted calamondin tree are quite droopy,...
michael_ames
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™