What is my citrus tree?

ekeys23May 31, 2012

Hello all! I've had this tree for 3 years. He's very special to me, and is currently thriving after languishing in a Brooklyn 1 window apt for a year. (oh how I love personifying my plants)

He bloomed late last summer, and all the fruit fell off except this one, which is currently lightening in color and feels sort of soft when squeezed, but doesn't come off the branch when gently twisted.

After fertilizing with espoma citrustone, he bloomed again and has about 11 fruits now. He's had a few bouts of scale (which you can see below) that I've treated with neem oil.

So my question is: what is he? And, when will my fruit be ready for harvest?

Ive always assumed he was a Meyer lemon tree, but that fruit is large and seems too round to be a lemon...also, the blooms have all been white, with no purple. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

There's another person that visits this forum occasionally who feels that his citrus is a SHE. I think that he even named his. Perhaps you two ought to get together, lol. Or let your plant meet his plant.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 11:22AM
denninmi(8a)

"He" could be many things. The images don't really rule out grapefruit, or oranges, or possibly a Ponderosa lemon, although the fruit is sort of too round for that, or hybrids of some of those species.

However, I'd say you're going to get to find out pretty soon, it looks like the older fruit is beginning to ripen

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 12:52PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, Meyer lemons can be very round, and they can vary significantly on one tree. You'll know it's a lemon by the color of the flower and the new flush - they will have a purplish tinge to them. If this tree doesn't have any thorns or very, very small ones, I would say it's an orange. Doesn't look like a grapefruit to me - the leaves do not have winged petioles. Pretty sure it's an orange, so watch your fruit develop. If they start turning orange, then, well, you've got an orange. As the fruit matures, you can scratch the peel, and the smell of the peel will also help you ID your citrus tree. It looks very healthy, you're doing a great job with it!

Patty S.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 2:00PM
ekeys23

Thanks, all! I knew I'd figure it out once that fruit was ripe, but I was worried about it possibly being a lime and having it overripen on the branch.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 3:45PM
johnmerr(11)

Looks like a Persian lime to me, aka Bearrs lime; it is best when it begins to get a yellowish tinge, but if you like that juice-less, bitter taste (for gin and tonic, shall we say), you can harvest it now. If the flowers didn't have the notable purple base it is not a Meyer; besides the leaves don't look like a Meyer.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 7:46PM
ckrtx63

Have you figured out what the tree is? We have the same citrus tree in our backyard and I was also wondering what it is.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 7:13PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

She/ He looks exactly like my Washington Navel tree. I like it!

MIke

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:17PM
johnmerr(11)

Just noticed on your second photo, with the dime... the leaf next to the fruit has a winged petiole; that rules out lemon, as no lemon has a winged petiole.

Based on that and the shape, it likely an orange, proly Valencia; but could be one of many types.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™