Coreopsis growing very tall.

bdot(z7b Cary,NC)November 14, 2009

Does anyone else here grow coreopsis and finding it grows way over the expected size? I love it being tall but it's always unexpected.

Years I bought some that has the tiny yellow and burgundy color flowers. The first year it grew only a few inches and didn't flower. I was disappointed. The next year though it grew 6.5 feet. I have since found that they want to act like bi-annuals.

This year I got a pack of assorted seeds for a new flower bed. Almost nothing grew from that pack. I did have 2 plants slowly start to come up in the back. It took all summer to get a few feet high before they started to explode in height. I could tell they were a version of coreopsis. This one was an all yellow variety and it has a much thicker trunk. Well once it started blooming last month it was 7.5 ft high. Unfortunately there were only 2 and the heavy rains this week snapped one off at the base. The other is laying on the air-conditioning unit.

Usually I find plants grow close to what the package says but coreopsis always goes way over what the listings show.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
transplanted2scin07(7b upstate SC)

I have that same gold and burgundy coreopsis. I don't know the variety name - it was in a wildflower mix. Mine gets extremely tall, too.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
black currents in the South
I want to grow black currents in the Triangle and have...
ChurchofBotany
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™