Can't I just prune when they finish blooming?

westy1941(Boulder County, CO)June 10, 2012

Does it matter what 'group' they're in - if they stop blooming, wouldn't it be of benefit to just cut them back by about a third?

Westy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Really depends on which Clematis they are and how old they are. Some would benefit from harder pruning than that.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:13PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Where I am if I cut back my type 3's, which bloom relatively late, after they bloom, they'd be putting out a lot of new growth just before frost.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 11:45PM
jumpindogs(4-5)

Last year I cut my Elsa Spath, Prince Philip and Dr. Ruppel (all Group 2) back after they bloomed just to see what would happen. They all bloomed again, Elsa the most prolifically...that's my girl! Then I worried that they wouldn't have enough juice to bloom this spring/summer but they are going strong as usual. I don't think I will try that again this year, though.

BTW, I cut all my Clems back to about six inches, regardless of Group, in November after it gets cold. I can't be bothered with keeping track and they all do fine.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 9:19PM

Cutting them back after bloom won't affect next years bloom.

I'd do it since it worked for you.

Pruning helps Clematis. It doesn't hurt them unless you do it too close to frost.

I shouldn't have assumed the OP was talking about one blooming right now....

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 7:14PM
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

Thanks buyorsell888. I'm going to prune them back hard as soon as they finish. For several years, they've been sending up a couple of pathetic vines, bloom and then do nothing. Warsaw Nike was my hope because it's supposed to bloom 'all summer' but it stopped. Ramona doesn't improve much year after year nor does one I can't remember but it's gorgeous. The vine dieback drives me nuts too. One or two vines will just quit while another one blooms. Never could figure that out. The roots are completely shaded, I compost, I water. I don't think I planted deep enough for optimal growth.

Westy

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 9:59PM
ditas

All mine except Ramona & QofS are done w/ their Spring show (Elsa, C de Bouchaud, Marie B, Cezanne, P Chiffon) a couple have a vine or 2 going thru beginnings of sudden wilt. Perhaps I should prune (by how much?) & fertilize, to encourage new growth & another surge?

Appreciate thoughts ~ TIA!!!

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 2:27PM
ditas

All mine except Ramona & QofS are done w/ their Spring show (Elsa, C de Bouchaud, Marie B, Cezanne, P Chiffon) a couple have a vine or 2 going thru beginnings of sudden wilt. Perhaps I should prune (by how much?) & fertilize, to encourage new growth & another surge?

Appreciate thoughts ~ TIA!!!

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 2:29PM

Pruning and fertilizing with alfalfa especially helps pathetic scraggly vines.

My Ramona only blooms once a year no matter what I do to her.I do not grow Warsaw Nike

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 2:44PM
ditas

Sorry I just posted this ? on another thread, patience please ~

In search of Alfalfa pellets last Spring, the only thing available are bails of alfalfa ~ I ended up using Tomato Tone 'til I find some.
Meantime, I took a visiting Granddau to a horse farm for some classes this summer & found they fed their horses alfalfa mix ~ they gave me a couple of small bails for a few $$. After blooming done, pruned ~ soaked & clipped the smallish bail & surrounded the base of each of my clems. Is this how it is done if using raw/dried alfalfa & not pellets?

Your thoughts please? TIA

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™