Petals separating at base

agardenstateof_mindJune 6, 2014

The petals of one of my clematis are separating at the base before the bloom opens. Two blooms had opened as usual, but the rest are tightly closed, though seem large and mature enough to open. When I gently separated the petal tips on one flower, it instantly opened.

There is no sign of distress, disease or infestation anywhere on this plant, which I have had about 3-4 years without any problem.

I cannot recall the name of this variety, a Japanese name I think, single purple flowers with yellow anthers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I don't quite understand what you mean. Are the sepals (petals) detaching themselves from the stamens (center filaments) and dropping to the ground before the flower opens?

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 3:47AM
agardenstateof_mind

Thank you for responding. The sepals are detaching from the base of the stamens, but not dropping - the buds are still firmly closed. It is only on close inspection that one notices that some or all of the sepals are detached. I should have taken a picture.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 12:32AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

That's what I thought you meant and I've never seen it. It seems like the anthers are holding the sepals (petals) in place? My only thought was the moisture level. But since you have others and this one is 3-4 yrs. old that's unlikely.

A mystery bug is depositing glue!

Sorry I have no idea. Hope it's not a rare disease. Maybe that variety disliked the severe winter? Keep us posted on rebloom behavior.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:31AM
More Discussions
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
ianrtaylor
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™