Dwarf Meyer Lemon

triciaIL(z4b/5aIL)May 26, 2005

I just got a meyer lemon tree for the first time this week and I am wondering when I should start to use fertilizer on it. And I am not to sure what kind to use. I can't seem to find anything but Miracle-gro shake and feed and on their website it states that it is not for trees in containers. I was told at a greenhouse here in town that any bloom fertilizer would do. Does anyone know if that is true or what use I should be looking for. Thanks so much.

Tricia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Tricia, I just got a Meyer's today, too..from Acorn Springs..
No, it's not true that you should feed with any blooming food.
When you do feed, try an Azalia/Rhododendron fertilizer. Also, you can find citrus food online..That's how I got mine since it's impossible finding citrus food here in IL.
Since the Shake & Feed site warns not to use on container plants, I surely wouldn't go against their warning..Toni

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 11:38PM
Millet(z5)

I agree with Toni, not to use a shake & feed. An acid fertilizer with a higher nitrogen content, lower phosphorus,and a medium potassium would be a good fertilizer. Toni's recomendation of an azalia fertilizer which would be something like a 30-10-10 would also be ok. A fertilizer with a ratio of 5-1-3 would be perfect but will be hard to find. Citrus are really not all that fussy and most acid type fertilizers will work. Be sure to purchase a fertilizer that also contains all the common trace minerals. A Meyer Lemon is not the easiest citrus to grow successfully. Millet

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 12:07AM
triciaIL(z4b/5aIL)

Thank you for your help, I am going to go out today and see what I can find.
Tricia

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 1:05PM
goodground(z6 NJ)

As far as the feeding schedule, everyone probably does it different. Your zone might be a factor as well. Once a month has worked good for me with the Azalia/Rhododendron fertilizer. I didn't fertilize while it was dormant in winter. I started with a Meyer as my first tree, and it has behaved very good so far. Good Luck with it :)
Paul

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 12:47AM
chopstocky(z6 NY Sunset 37)

Can one use Hollytone on citrus?

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 11:13AM
birdsnblooms

Chop, what is Hollytone? Is it a type of ferilizer and if so, what are the 3 major numbers..Eg, 5-10-5 etc..Toni

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 9:39PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Toni - Hollytone made by Espoma is a naturally-derived slow release fertilizer for acid-loving plants that also contains sulfur as an acidifier. The product has been around for decades. I use it on my acid lovers like my blueberries, gardenia, camellia, etc. and I'll use it on occassion on plants like my tropical hibiscus. It reports NPK as 4-6-4.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollytone

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 7:11PM
birdsnblooms

Jenny, thanks..Under the feed schedule, it says to feed twice a year..do you follow their directions?
I didn't see any mention of container feeding..do you use for plants in pots? Thanks, Toni

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 10:27PM
chopstocky(z6 NY Sunset 37)

Jenny, thanks for answering that. I haven't been able to get to the boards lately- been busy.

I just picked up a small bag of Hollytone. I read on GW that they were good for Blueberries. The package also says it's good for azalias and rhododendrons. Since it was acid I was wondering if the lemon and lime trees would like it?

I also have bone meal which a nursery recommended for my apple tree. It's NPK is 4-12-0. Would that be good for citrus?
-Chops

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 2:36PM
birdsnblooms

Chops, bonemeal doesn't contain enough nitrogen to keep a citrus a nice, healthy green color. Toni

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 12:54AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Toni - sorry I missed your message. I have been using Hollytone in my containers for some time. It's basically a combo of stuff that can be bought separately (bone meal, cottonseed meal, alfalfa, green sand, manure, etc). The product has been around for a number of decades. I just sprinkle a small amount on the top of the soil or will sprinkle some under the plant's mulch if it has it.

I did notice that one of the Osmocotes that I have - "Outdoor and Indoor", which I haven't had chance to use, is 19-6-12 (I normally use the "Vegetable and Bedding" one which is 14-14-14). I may try this on the citrus. I definitely wanted to try it sometime this summer on a banana pup that one of my co-workers just gave me, especially since it has a higher ratio of potassium. Based on a number of posts on the Banana Forum, bananas supposedly do very well with fertilizers having higher nitrogen and potassium.

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 2:50PM
roberta_in_la

I have been giving love and a citrus fertilizer and sometimes an organic 'dead-fish' one to my dwarf meyer lemon tree. It's in a container that I just repotted tonight.
This tree has been struggling to stay alive for the 1 1/2 years I've had her. What fruit she does manage to hold on to is sweet and delicious but she generally only bears 4-5 lemons a season.
I don't want to put her in the ground because I am renting and want to take her with me when I go.
I noticed that big fat crickets were munching on her leaves...is there anything organic I can do to deter them from her? Also - the citrus fert label says twice a year...is that truer with container trees? Or should I be providing it more often?

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
CITRUS SCALE
Please look at this picture and identify the scale...
crutch0
is this realy not a sweetlee tangerine or not
Can any one help me Identify what kind of citrus tree...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer 6-4-6
I buy this Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer...
Randy31513
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
Jacq Davis
Sponsored Products
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Film Cell Frame
$79.99 | zulily
Kaddur Kids Chair in Red
$600.00 | LexMod
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Pre-Pasted Mural
$99.99 | zulily
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs FilmCells™ Framed Wall Art
$59.99 | zulily
Live Edible Dwarf 'Sweetheart' Cherry Tree
$24.99 | zulily