Citrus and Aquaponics

IrishFarmsMay 30, 2012

I'm planning on introducing citrus to my aquaponics system however I was wondering if anyone has grown oranges and grapefruit using an aquaponics system, if so are there any tips or tricks one would like to share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI(6A)

I've been away from the forum for some time. Presently, I am very interested in growing a Kaffir Lime tree indoors and also lemon grass. The local nursery seldom carry lime trees let alone Kaffir trees.

Can anyone who has done this direct me to a good sourse of disease-free trees? Thanks so much.

George

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TimSF(CA Z8B/Sunset17)

IrishFarms,

Very cool notion(!), but I'm dubious that you can raise citrus in aquaculture on at least a couple counts. You'll need to have the pH consistently around 6, and all the appropriate micronutrients like S, Fe, Cu, Mg, and Mg will need to be present (check out all nutrients present in Dyna Gro's Foliage Pro for more complete list). I wonder if your aquatic organisms can consistently maintain these two requirements. However, in this case, I'd be happy to be proven wrong! Please keep us posted! :-)

George, it would be best to start your own thread, but to quickly set you in a direction, I would suggest Four Winds growers.

Tim

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Citrus/Orange Tree in Container---Health Concerns
Hi there! So, about three years ago a friend of mine...
Grace Larkin
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™