knock out roses

jeeper(z7 nc)November 17, 2008

I got 8 back in late spring and they set all summer and bloomed in pots great. The ? is it to late to put them in the ground now. I know we will have warm and cold days up till jan. anyway.

thanks jeeper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

They are probably going to be happier in the ground than pots now anyhow. Fall is the best time to plant most things. While the tops are mostly dormant, because our soil rarely freezes, the roots continue to grow even in cold weather, which gives them an awesome head start on the next big growing season. Plus, in pots, the roots are much more likely to freeze- they are insulated in the ground.

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 11:40AM
jeeper(z7 nc)

thank you tamelask I thought they would be , just checking.
thanks alot

jeeper

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 12:01PM
puppyscruff(7/NC)

Yes, I agree with Tammy that this is the absolute best time to plant/transplant trees/shrubs. I just wanted to point out that I have had 3 tree form knockouts for at least 5 years that I keep in their pots. I do keep them in a super protected area and they do fine in the spring after I hard prune them. These babies are indestructible.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 7:10PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

Pup- did you train them as standards or did they come that way? Are any of the knock outs fragrant? So far i only grow old fashioned types, but may try a ko in the backyard for color now that i'm starting on it. Fragrance would be an awesome bonus!

I keep quite a few things in pots over the winter but do try to protect them somewhat (my pot ghetto is out of hand!). And, i have lost stuff that would have been hardy in the ground.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 7:28PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

I have a yellow knockout that is somewhat fragrant. It's certainly not like some heirlooms, but it has more scent than the pink variety I have.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 6:31AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

Thanks, token for the answer. I didn't realize the ko's came in yellow. I don't have any yellow roses, so maybe i'll consider that.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 10:32AM
token28001(zone7b NC)

Yellow knockouts are hard to find around here. I didn't know they came in yellow either until I stopped at a nursery on the way back from Delaware. I spent way too much money on way too many things.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™