My fertilized Crassula x 'Maruba Nishiki' Jade grew like crazy!

meyermike_1micha(5)September 12, 2012

Are your jades growing very fast? Mine were always slow growing year after year until my good friend Josh told me to fertilize and see what happens. Well, I did on this one, and bow did it work! i never thought to fertilize my jades on a regular basis, but now that has changed. I have also noticed that colors are more vivid on the ones I feed. Do you fertilize yours?

What a remarkable difference in just 3 months!

This is what it looked like then.

Now this is what it looks like! I think I will be making some cuttings on this one soon. Now, to figure how to.

Do you have any growing this fast since fertilizing? Have you noticed a difference on yours when you fertilize?

MIke:-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rina_

Mike

That is very nice jade, and great growth.
I did not fertilize mine, so no photo.
Will you slow down/fertilize less for winter?

Rina

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:18AM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Ver nice growth on your Jade. What type of fertilizer do you use and how often??

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:21AM
Ron4310

I fertilize my jades and all my plants all the time. They do need food to live and grow.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 11:08AM
scsva(7/VA)

I feed all my plants each time I water. I will stop around November and start up again in late March.

All my succulents put on a lot of growth and prettier colors with plant food. I use MG houseplant food, with Superthrive and lately about 1/8 tsp of epsom salt per gallon of water.
Susan

Susan

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 11:25AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Excellent work, Mike!

I took my direction from Al, of course, since I'm using such inorganic and lean mixes.
It was last year that I potted a small pair of Jade cuttings with my Ponderosa Lemon.
Well, I watered and fertilized the container according to the needs of the Lemon, full strength
once a week, with frequent watering. The growth that I saw in those cuttings was incredible.
I separated them eventually and gave them to my brother. Now that the fertilization has slowed
the plant is much more compact.

Anyhow, I saw how easy it is to grow Jades (relatively) quickly, and then to simply
reduce the fertilization once the plant has achieved the general size desired. I don't
heavily feed all my succulents, though. Many of them are growing "hard," with little water
or nutrients.

If using a gritty, lean mix like Mike's, one can fertilize lightly through the entire Winter.
Succulents won't require as much water in the Winter, and so the opportunity to apply a liquid
fertilize will be reduced as well.

Josh

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:28PM
jeffrey_b

That is a beautiful plant. It's also motivating me to use fertilizer more often. I just recently saw a tiny cutting of this variety of jade on ebay for $40. The seller also had a variegated gollum and some other neat jades. All at lofty prices, too.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 8:39PM
kaktuskris(5)

Nice job, Mike, as usual!!! I do fertilize more often than not, but not always with noticeable results.

Christopher

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 9:57PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

It looks positively fantastic. Amazing how you've gotten your hands on such fantastic plants.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 12:30AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Teatree..Thank you. I have some really great friends abroad, that is for sure for in which I am truly greatful. This plant will be more available with time since I have no problem sharing.

Christopher, good thanks buddy. I'll be seeing you soon.

Jeffrey, thank you.

Josh, in fact I remember that conversation and how well those jades did! That is what made me consider fertilizing. It just never occured to me that succulents like food to. I remember many at the Cactus club saying they would never fertilize their jades which threw me off a bit. I wonder why? I shall have to ask if I see those members again.
Thanks again, Your contributions here are always treasured.

Susuan, thanks for sharing.

Rina and Ron, thanks for looking:-)

Americangolden: I use Foliage Pro and that is it. I feed at just about every time I water when I remember at 1/4 strentgh per gallon of water. Sometime I'll give a dose of one tablespoon per gallon once a week too.

This plant gets no more than 3-4 hours of direct sun all summer, but more now that the strentgh of the sun is much lower. Now it is sitting up on my flat roof all day. I'll see how it reacts to the much cooler nights now, in the full sun by day.

Mike

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 9:41AM
luvidaho_2010(5/6)

Beautiful jade Mike! Thanks for sharing pictures of your plants and information on how you grow them. I have been afraid to fertilize my jade after reading all the info saying not to fertilize. I can't find Foliage Pro here so I will have to try to find it on the internet.
Tami

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 10:00AM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Why is the new growth so pale, yellow? And the the old leaves are variegated and green? Is this normal?

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 10:09AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yes, that's normal.
In a month or two, the leaves will revert back to what you see in the first pic.

Josh

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 10:32AM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Aw ok. I have a elephant bush that was doing the same thing. Thanks.

That is growing so fast for a Jade!

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 11:22AM
rina_

Josh

Are you saying they will revert to almost green? Will they revert to yellow at any time? (Is it because of sun?)
I like yellow on the leaves.

Rina

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 12:05PM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Thanks, I will have to search and find some folliage pro. Is the Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 the one I should be using or is there a different one?

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 1:05PM
jeffrey_b

The 9-3-6 is the one I use.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:39PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

That's right, Rina.
A combination of strong light and cooler temps will really color up a Jade.
During the Winter, most of us can't provide that intense light, so the colors fade.

Josh

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 7:02PM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Thanks jeffrey_b

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 7:19PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Wow Mike...that is some awesome growth! Great job, Congrats!

I've definitely never had that type of growth on any of my Jades before especially this time of year.

That is one beautiful Jade, the colors are so pretty!
Thanks for posting!

Hey Josh!

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 3:06PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

Mike,
here are some of mine. I water heavy thru the summer heat, and use fertilizer about 1-2 times a week. Clearly, they don't know they're not supposed to grow in the summer.....

Rob

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Crassula Bonsai Lover
Hello succulents lovers, I would like to share some...
Martin
water testing for succulents.
What type of water do you use for your succulents?...
Britni Rice
It's Started...Again!
Yes, the new season of saying good-by to our winter...
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
kalanchoe questions
This used to be a nice full plant,,now not so much....help?...
ianbeatty
Sponsored Products
La Parra 18-lt Three Tier Chandelier
LBC Lighting
Sasha II Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture with Gold Foil Glass
$522.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Hand-woven Chic Grey Shag Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Indoor Area Rug: Thomaspaul Blue/Cream 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Beige Pleat Linen Empire Shade 8x12x8 (Spider)
$89.91 | Lamps Plus
Sonneman | Dichroix™ Single Pendant
$490.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™